We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orange, Provence worth seeing?

Reston, VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Orange, Provence worth seeing?

We will be in Avignon for two days and were wondering about a trip to see the Roman ruins in Orange. Are these worth seeing? Is there anything else worth seeing in Orange? Are there better Roman ruins elsewhere? We will have been to Pont de Gard the day before Avignon. We will have a rental car. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

There are Roman ruins throughout Provence.

Better is a relative term.

If Roman ruins are your focus I would put Arles and the wonderful Colisseum in NImes ahead of Orange.

But that's just me....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

If you have 2 nights in Avignon, that really means only 1 day. This is not really enough time to see Avignon itself.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

I would not rush to Orange. Arles is a better bet for Roman ruins.

Will you be two nights or two days in Avignon, and why so little time? There is so much to see and enjoy around the area.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

We went to Orange on a Monday. The theatre is huge and extraordinary. There is a rather fine Triumphal Arch on the outskirts. The rest of Orange appeared to be closed. I doubt I would be making a special trip there from Avignon. Maybe Glanum instead?

http://tinyurl.com/md6b5d6

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

Again,I'd go for Arles.

Ed

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

I like Arles a lot, but wonder where the OP will be before visiting the Pont du Gard, as a visit to Nimes with the arena, Maison Carrée and Tour Magne makes a wonderful visit of Roman sites, and might be possible depending on the agenda. I wouldn't take a day out of a short time in Avignon.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

The Amphitheatre and Triumphal Arch in Orange are definitely worth seeing - just ask the World Heritage Organisation. But you have very limited time. I agree with gardengirlie and would recommend combining Nimes with the Pont du Gard as it's half an hour closer - and make sure you see something of the wonderful city of Avignon while you're there.

Maine
Level Contributor
672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

I agree with Moth about the Theatre in Orange, so much, have visited it 4 times in the past 10 years. The most impressive structures in my opinion are the Pont du Gard, the Theatre in Orange and one of the 2 Roman arenas, my favorite is the arena in Arles -there are tiny little one way streets inside the walled town so it is more of a walking town. The Theatre visit would take 2 hours or so and then you can go try some wine in the vineyards. Orange is just past Chateauneuf du Papes, which you can see from the point you walk to above the Palace in Avignon. You'll see nothing is a far distance. Arles in the other direction is a straight shot south from Avignon and worth the 30 minute drive-so gorgeous it is easy to stay for hours. You will have Avignon in the evening as you will be staying there. It too is amazing. We usually stay in Avignon a night or two -it is lit up beautifully at night,

Reston, VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

Sorry I was not more specific. We will have 2 full days in Avignon. One full day in Avignon is a tour as the last day of a Viking River cruise. Then we have the next day free before getting to Aix that next night. Before Avignon, we will also have one day in Arles with Viking and a half day tour of Pont de Gard, but that's with Viking too so won't have the option of going from Pont de Gard to Nimes.

I'll check out Glanum. Thanks for including the url for the pictures.

10. Re: Orange, Provence worth seeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:22