We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Provence... August

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
5 Days in Provence... August

Hi

Hubby and I are going to France for 15 days this August. We are in our 40s...

-5 days in Paris, 5 in Provence and 5 in Nice.

I like the idea of touring from one location, but was thinking it might be nice to do 2 nights in Aix, it just sounds so charming. I realize that time is lost when changing hotels, but am thinking of 3 nights in Arles (unless you have a better suggestion) and then 2 in Aix, from where I will head to Nice. I want to book hotels and am feeling so overwhelmed by it all, so thanks for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

With only 5 days, I wouldn't change bases.

If you do want to utilize 2 bases, I would suggest one larger one like Arles and one smaller place like Bonnieux or Goult or Bedoin. IMO the smaller villages have more of a Provencal flavour.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

And your favorite small village would be? Based on having flavour and also being a great spot to access the region... thx

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

Provence is a vast region stretching from the Rhone river to the Italian border.

One of my favourite villages is Goult in the Luberon.

Scroll through the photos here.

http://www.theluberon.com/places/goult.htm

It is very small and there are absolutely no bus tours that go there.

It is not visited a lot.....which is one of the things I likke about it.

It might not be everyones cup of tea as there are only about 1,000 residents.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

IMO, you will be much happier in a small village in August then in Aix. Do stop by for a half-day stroll and lunch. I am sure dat will return and let you know what his favorite village in Provence is, assuming he could settle on just one. I could not ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

My husband and I tend to prefer changing bases. I know you lose some time:

But on the plus side 1) you have far less "commuting" back and forth daily since you can see clusters of places near each base 2) you can stay out late, have drinks etc, and walk back but to different places and 3) I like the feel of "living" in a town -- early morning breakfast, late at night etc-- rather than just day trips.

I split 9 days among Aix, cassis, Bonnieux and Nice and recommend all of them.

So IMO my advice is yes, do Aix for 2 days!

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

I am assuming you will have a car?

Do remember that August is peak season in Provence so I would add my vote to finding one location to base yourself in and use that to visit the places you want to see.

If you do base yourself in a larger town (Aix, Avignon) do make sure that you have access to a swimming pool - essential to cool off in after a day sight seeing.

I would avoid Arles as a base as it is a little too west of the region.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

Would you also suggest air conditioning then?

8. Re: 5 Days in Provence... August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:19