We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast in or out?

Ontario
Level Contributor
808 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast in or out?

Many small hotels offer a continental type breakfast for about 8, 9, or 10 euros. In reviews, people will sometimes say it was not a good value, it would be better to go to a nearby cafe. What would you get for an equivalent amount of money in a cafe? I am guessing you would not get 'free refills', and so I consider that a big benefit of going with the breakfast at the hotel. Any thoughts?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast in or out?

Unless breakfast is included, we almost always have breakfast out, and then Cafe Crème, baguette or croissant with butter and jam. No, no refills but that would be about 4 Euro so you can order another Cafe Crème ;) It is also kind of nice to hang out at a cafe and watch the World go by as opposed to in a dining room - same dining room day after day - of one's hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast in or out?

Have breakfast out.

You're not going to find a "double double."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast in or out?

Part if the beauty of the area is the cafe culture. Go out and find a new cafe every morning and enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast in or out?

> You're not going to find a "double double." <

No insult intended to Horton's lovin' folks, but thank goodness.

Yeah, I'm an espresso slurpin Vancouver east side curmudgeon. ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast in or out?

As far as I understand, Tim Horton's serves dog food. Been in one once because I had to. Hope to never have to do it again.....

But I travel to TO a lot and subsequently know what a "double double" is.

I prefer "animal style" for my restaurant slang.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 03:55
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast in or out?

Unless it's included in the hotel price, I never eat breakfast at a hotel. I want to start the day at a café where I can people[-watch and get in the mood for a nice roll around Paris. I typically have a tartine and a café crème for about 4 euros. I don't need a refill on anything. I'm pretty tiny and don't need extras or refills of any kind, ever, or want them.

7. Re: Breakfast in or out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 06:17