We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menton day trips- Roquebrune, st Agnes, Italy..?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
322 reviews
Save Topic
Menton day trips- Roquebrune, st Agnes, Italy..?

We will be in Menton for 3 days in June (Tuesday thru Friday. Friday back to Nice)

This is our second time to Menton. We want to do one day or 1.5,of day trips. Just 2-3 towns.

Roquebrune old town? Or add new town too? is it worth it? Gorbio and/or st anne? I think Peillon and Peille are further but similar? I would love to do fewer of these and do St Remo instead ( these boards suggest it is nicer than vintimiglua but still the closest nice part of the Italian riviera)

In terms of what we like--Pretty seaside villages and ports and strolling. Old towns and history and old architecture. Wine and food and sitting in cafes watching the sea and people. Hilltop small towns.

We've been to Monte Carlo and couldn't wait to leave although I do want to visit its old town one of these days. Not this trip though. We are starting in Cannes and ending in Nice. Have been to Eze, Villefranche, Antibes etc. Want to concentrate on the Menton side. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menton day trips- Roquebrune, st Agnes, Italy..?

Hey Doby.....hope you are well!

A trip up the Roya Valley would certainly tick the "hilltop small town" box.

Through Sospel, Saorge and up to Tende. It is stunningly beautiful.

Saorge is one of my favourite stops. The very sage Mr. Loud-Glade calls it "Tibetan-like."

It's an amazing place.

Sospel has a great little market on the square on Tuesday mornings. The last time we were there, the lady with the underwear stand was on her 4th or 5th beer by 10:00 AM and was napping. A classic small town Provencal Market.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,733 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Menton day trips- Roquebrune, st Agnes, Italy..?

St Agnes is stunning, though it's small so there's not a lot there. For buses click Ligne 10 on www.zestbus.fr/Pratique/Lignes-et-horaires

San Remo is easy to do, with trains to Ventimiglia from Menton every 30 minutes taking ten minutes, then Italian trains (see www.trenitalia.com clcking the UK flag for English for trains until June 13) or alternatively buses every fifteen minutes rivieratrasporti.it/OrarioFestival2014-Sanre… from just down the road from the station (tickets €1.50 in the train station bar).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menton day trips- Roquebrune, st Agnes, Italy..?

Thank you both.

I should have clarified we will not have a car so just public transport

I think st remo is a must and st Agnes sounds easy enough to get to.

Hi dathe. Are the towns you mention easier to get to from Nice than Menton? We will be in Nice as well. Are they the ones you're supposed to take the train de merveille to or can I go from Menton also?

Thanks!

4. Re: Menton day trips- Roquebrune, st Agnes, Italy..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32