We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice/Provence to Paris -- Timing

mt. laurel, nj
Level Contributor
365 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nice/Provence to Paris -- Timing

Spending a week in Nice (6/21-6/28) followed by a week in Provence (6/28-7/5). My wife and children (14&12) are now longing for a day and nite in Paris to see some of the major sights. Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Palace de la Concorde, Chamms Élysées. I know it would be a whirlwind. What week would you steal a day from? Nice and surrounding area or Provence and surrounding area? Our apartment rentals are Saturday to Saturday. We could leave Nice on Friday and drive (we've rented a car) to Avignon and catch the train to Paris, spend Friday afternoon and night in Paris, all day Saturday and return to Avignon on the 5 or 6 PM TGV. Or we could do similar pulling a day out of Provence, spend the day touring Avignon, get an afternoon train to Paris, have late evening night there, most of the next day with a similar return from Paris.

I'm not saying that this is my ideal, but my wife points out that our kids may never be fortunate enough to ever go to Paris. Thoughts? Our second week we're staying in L'Isle sur la Sourge, 30+ minutes from Avignon. Any comments are most welcome ; )

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice/Provence to Paris -- Timing

I'd steal it from Nice, no question, but that's a personal preference. I am far more fond of inland Provence than the Riviera.

And I wouldn't presume that your kids will never have another opportunity to get to Paris. Once you take them there, there's a good chance they'll get the bug and make it a priority to go back.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 01:16
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice/Provence to Paris -- Timing

One day in Paris like having a quarter of a teaspoon of foie gras.

You'll just want more.

For me.....it's flip a coin as to where to cut a day from.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice/Provence to Paris -- Timing

I assume that you are neither flying in, nor flying out from Paris.. I agree with dat that the one day and a little bit in Paris is not really worth the trouble, and money, of doing it. Regardless, it makes little difference where you choose to cut a day from.

4. Re: Nice/Provence to Paris -- Timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:17