We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Provence

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Provence

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling to Europe for a wedding and we arrive in Paris. We would like to visit Provence, particularly the lavender fields, wineries, and small villages. We are familiar with the most popular destinations such as Marseille, Nice, etc. However, we would like to know the best places to visit in the regions and/or a good home base to explore the region. We have about four days and would prefer to take public transportation instead of renting a car. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Provence

When are you travelling?

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Provence

Are you visiting Provence in the upcoming month? That is when the lavender is in bloom. To get to all the places you mentioned a car is best but you can probably get a tour out of Avignon or Arles.

I have been planning my trip to Provence to see lavender and sunflowers since last September and I leave in three weeks. We are staying in St. Remy, Gigondas, Gordes and Bonnieux and we will have a car.

I'm sure others will chime in but it is a bit late if you are trying to plan for this season.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Provence

Without a car I recommend Avignon as a base. Due to the festival it is besieged in July - but we you don't say when you are travelling.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Provence

For what you want to see you really do need a car. Yes public transport is available but not always a convenient way to see the area.

The driving is easy and you will see so much more.

Another vote for when are you going as this makes a big difference to any advice given.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Provence

I'll be there the last week of July.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Provence

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

We will be there the last week of July. Would it be best then to rent a car in the outskirts of Paris and drive down? Do you have any recommendation for companies? It's intimidating, but sure exciting based on your comments. So if I was able to rent a car on the 24th of July, would you still recommend Avignon as home base or Bonnieux. I also read that Aix-en-Provence is wonderful.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 17:48
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Provence

No, it would be best to take the TGV from Paris to Avignon and pick up a car there (if you're going to do this, get your train tickets NOW, as you're well past the dates for cheap tickets). If lavender is the focus of the trip you might be a bit late for the best blooming (no one can say for sure, as it's a crop, and weather-dependent). I would just look for accommodations anywhere close to the good lavender sites (like Sault). You're way late to book anything at this point, so take whatever you can get that's suitable.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Provence

The busiest time of year in the region!

As StCirq says take whatever accomodation you can find - or stay in Paris which will be deserted as all the Parisians will be in Provence.

Seriously though you have left it late so I would suggest thinking about looking at another region of France nearer to Paris - Champagne or Normandy perhaps?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Provence

The last week in July and you don't have accomodations booked?

boucheboy is right.....I'd look at another region in France.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Provence

You can go on a site like www.booking.com (others prefer venere), put in Provence and your planned dates, and see what's available at various price levels to guide your planning. There are still nice places available, but not necessarily in every location.