We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

updates on maps

Ontario
Level Contributor
804 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
updates on maps

We are picking up a car in Avignon, driving around that area, through the Luberon, on through the Canyon de Verdon, ending up in Nice. I was going to purchase Michelin 527, but I see that it was published in 2007. Would it be better to get the 2014 Michelin Road Atlas? Or how about the Michelin 2014 Southern France? I am confused as to the difference between the various offerings on the Michelin site. Thanks.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: updates on maps

Why not just try www.viamichelin.com or google maps or a satnav? Personally, I like viamichelin because it's better at distinguishing different types of road (dual carriageway/divided highway etc) and, being a website, it's bang up-to-date.

Ontario
Level Contributor
804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: updates on maps

Thanks. The gps on our phone uses data and that is ok as I will purchase a data package but I don' t want to use it up to quickly. We will also bring a net book, good for planning the night before on viamichelin. Still.....I would like to have a map in the car......

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: updates on maps

I too always have a map in the car. I would go with the most up-to-date one because the French are very good at building new roads and improving roads. I always update our maps every few years.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: updates on maps

>>The gps on our phone uses data<<

No it doesn't. The GPS is built into the phone and does not need a data connection. There are apps that download maps to the phone so that you can navigate without a data or wifi connection.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: updates on maps

Have a look at MapsWithMe, Sygic or TomTom for smart phone GPS apps that require no data. You can also use Google Maps data free by downloading the maps in advance. Just Google it. ;^)

Ontario
Level Contributor
804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: updates on maps

thanks. I have a Samsung S2 and when I googled it, it said it uses data for the gps. However, I will look into downloading maps ahead of time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: updates on maps

I think you have misunderstood something along the way:

"GPS will NOT, in and of itself, use more data bandwidth. What does use additional bandwidth is assisted GPS. If you go to App Drawer -> Settings -> Locations & Security Settings, you'll see a reference to "Enable Assisted GPS". This will use the carriers network to improve the GPS fix."

Turning on this 'assist' will use data to help but it is not necessary to turn this function on. More info from Google:

support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py… As noted in the link just having wireless networking turned on can help increase accuracy. Out on the open road this is meaningless but can help on foot in towns and cities.

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: updates on maps

Is this true with an iphone? We are leaving in 5 days so I am trying to settle my traveling and technology issues. I do not have an international plan for my phone so I figured that I would bring my phone and leave it in airplane mode. We can communicate whenever we have wi-fi, but I figured it would be much use otherwise. Will we really be able to use it for directions,e tc?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: updates on maps

I have used my iPhone google map feature fire step by step directions.

It generally works well but it drains your battery I recent bought a battery pack to bring next time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: updates on maps

postcardNewYork,

Yes. Your phone WILL work as a GPS device but you need to have an app that stores the maps on the phone.Have a look above for suggestions. Try calling your carrier first and see if they will unlock the phone for you.