We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to and back from West Provence

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Nice to and back from West Provence

Hi, my husband and I are flying into Nice in late May. We plan to spend 4 nights in Nice and the nearby areas then head to the west part of Provence. We then need to go back to Nice to fly back to the US. My Qs are:

1) Where will be a good base to visit the West part of Provence given that we will be fly in and out of Nice? I've read that the most recommended spots are Aix-en-Provence, Isle sur la Sorgue or St. Remy.

2) I know that we will be better off without a car in Nice and nearby areas. Should we take a train to our base in West Provence then pick up a car? or should we pick up a car at Nice and drive to West Provence?

3) Our whole trip will be 10 days. Is half in Nice/nearby areas and half in west provence a good split?

4) Our return flight in Nice (stop by London, then back to NYC) leaves on a Monday at noon. Would it be too much of a rush to drive back from West Provence that AM? Or should we spend the night before in Nice? Would like to avoid the latter since then we need 3 accommodation arrangements.

Many thanks!!

Aix-en-Provence...
Level Contributor
71 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to and back from West Provence

Well first of all, it is probably better to have a car in Nice as well. The surrounding areas of St. Paul de Vence, Eze, Canne, perfume factory in Grasse are all worth visiting and not too easy by bus or train. It is a 90 minute drive from the Nice airport to Aix en Provence (no problem to catch a noon flight to London as long as you are on the road by 8:30am).

If you spend 4-5 days in Provence you will have a good taste of Provence. You can spend 2 weeks and still not see everything.

As for a base, I am partial to Aix en Provence as I live there. It is a thriving city as well as a tourist spot. It is not extemely large, very walkable in town and kept in very good condition.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to and back from West Provence

----St. Paul de Vence, Eze, Cannes, perfume factory in Grasse--- are all extrememly easy by public transport and cheap at one euro per journey

Parking is expensive and difficult in NIce -don't hire a car unless you want an expenisve millstone or want to go somewhere really off the beaten track

3. Re: Nice to and back from West Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 05:16