We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas and suggestions for Before/After our cruise

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas and suggestions for Before/After our cruise

We are leaving Marseille July 23rd for our cruise but we land in Marseille on the 20th and we were hoping to see some of the country side before leaving for the cruise.

My question is should we stay in Marseille then drive to Aix, Avignon etc...or should we chose to stay closer to Aix....

Also after the cruise we are staying for another 3 nights and I do not know if we should take the train to Cannes, Nice etc...then head back to Marseille for our flight or if we should make Nice and the area a day trip. We have been there twice before 2006 and 2007 but would love to go again.

Any other MUST SEE areas you would recommend?

Thank you VERY much!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas and suggestions for Before/After our cruise

Will you be renting a car? Or were you planning to travel by public transport? If the latter, I suggest you make Marseille your base, spend one-two days looking round there (Notre Dame, Chateau d'If, calanques, etc), then take day trips out of MRS. Aix is a short train or bus ride away and there is a very regular shuttle service.

Arles, Cassis and even Avignon are all possible as excursions by train. Nice, however, is rather a long way for a day trip from Marseille, as there's no high-speed train service on that stretch of the line. If renting a car, check that your hotel has parking if you plan to stay in Marseille. Suggestions of things to do in the area: http://bit.ly/M8n4pd

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas and suggestions for Before/After our cruise

My suggestion would be to stay in avignon or St Remy where you'll have much more to do while avoiding traffic...

3. Re: Ideas and suggestions for Before/After our cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence