We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Topic
Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

Is Aix en Provence a good base for looking around without a car? We plan to stay in the Nice (Villefranche Sur Mer) area and catch a train (our eventual destination somewhere like Mirepoix, in the SW) and want to stop and look about as we go. We have stayed in Uzes a year ago, and had a day trip to Arles (which we liked) and now want to explore a bit more - so would Aix be pleasant and convenient to do this? or would Avignon or Nimes be better? We like to look at things historic, and sit and have a coffee or wine and people watch etc., so the we want a town with ambience...I really would appreicate some comments about this. Many thanks, Jeanette

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

We are also going to Mirepoix in June. Many people don't seem to know about. We are going to Avignon, then to Mirepoix and then on to Nice. What brings you to Mirepoix? Curious.

Casa

australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

Hello Cassamurray, Mirepoix - well, we have stayed in various parts of France (all the way from Tasmania), and like the SW - last time in a beautifulk bastide town called Monpazier - absolutely lovely. We are thinking of Mirepoix because some friends (also from Tasmania) own a house there that they lived in and did up. They now rent it out. Several of our friends have rented the house and love Mirepoix. Howver, we won't stay in their house (there is just the 2 of us on this trip), so are thinking of some little hotel with soem charm. I will be very interested to know where you stay. Why Mirepoix for you? and where will you stay? Have you been there before? Jeanette

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

IMO, Avignon would be better than Aix, but you probably won't be able to see the smaller villages without a car--public transportation to those isn't great. However, you could spend a few days in both Aix and Avignon, both easily reachable by rail.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

To Jeanette,

We are staying in a bed and breakfast owned by a British couple that my husband met while on a cruise. They have sent a charming brochure every year at xmas and now we are going. Called Papillon. Looks quaint and beautiful.

Casa

australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aix a good base for touring by public transport? or...

Casamurray - I've tried to find it in Google - no luck - do you have a website please?

Jeanette

Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence