We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I would be in France in October end, and this time, the base is going to be Lyon. (first Annecy, then to Lyon for 12 days). Having missed Aix-en-Provence last fall, when we traveled in Cote d'azur and Provence, i was very keen on going to Aix this time. So have booked our tickets on TGV (Reaching Aix TGV station at 8:06 AM. Departing at 17:29 PM same day).

My question is about our plan for the day. I would appreciate any input greatly.

[1] We will take the Navette from TGV station to Aix Center reaching Gare routiere on Av.de l'Europe.

[2] First, we would like to go for the antiques/flea market at Place Verdun (it is a Thursday, so I am presuming that the market will be on). We will walk from Gare Routiere - via Av.des Belges and Cours Mirabeau - to reach Place Verdun. Keeping 1 hr. for for the market.

[3] We would like to visit Atelier Cezanne next. Is there a good public transportation link from Place Verdun to the studio? I am not very keen on walking long distances!!

[4] Next we want to be on Cours Mirabeau for a late/relaxed lunch. We would also like to keep sometime to walk around here and see a beautiful architecture, especially some old facades with intricate detailing, beautiful doors, balconies and yes, of course the fountains.

Ideally, we would like to be at the TGV station by 5 PM. So, I suppose we would have to be on Gare Routiere to catch the shuttle back latest by 4?

Is this plan realistic? I have included my top 3 priorities in Aix, actually.

What else can we do in these areas to see buildings of beautiful town?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

Bus no. 5 takes you to Cezanne's studio. You can pick it up on the ring road around the old city (direction Parc Relais Brunet). Your plan seems doable, though the morning will be quite packed. More about Cezanne's studio: http://bit.ly/gvXLfd

Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

is it reasonable to drive from Nice to Aix? rather than taking the train? Then we will have wheels rather than paying for a private tour for 9 hours the next day?

Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

sry I don't know how to post my own question!

UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

Aix has a rather complicated one-way system (I was navigating not driving, don't know which is worse). Honestly I think you'd be better off with the train.

don't miss the cathedral, also the fountains esp the four dolphins one and the mossy one on Cours Mirabeau which is warm.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 19:21
India
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

hello!

and thank you to both, anglaiseamarseille and chicchantal...

seems we would be able to fit in what we have planned.

besides, if we end up having to skip something, it would perhaps still be wonderful to just wander and enjoy the beauty around.

merci beaucoup!!

6. Re: have we planned a good day in aix-en-provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:18