We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

We are taking a few days (only 4) in January to visit Aix and Arles prior to a trip to Paris. We were thinking of renting a car but now see that having a car and driver meet us at the airport and take us to the hotel in Aix is very reasonable as is a car and driver from Aix to Arles. We know it is always best to not have a car in city centers but also know there are places to see outside of these cities. However with only 2 days in each city and actually the first day in each city is only a half a day it seems like we really won't have time to see the countryside and if we want to see it can take a tour or a train or bus. Any advice over whether it is better to rent a car under these circumstances or not? We have been to Paris many times and intend to return to Provence so we are not interested in packing as much as we can into our 4 days in Provence. Just a little flavor of an area we have not been to before is fine.

Thanks.

Edited: 19 December 2013, 01:48
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

Yeah, me too, not eggnog but wine, but my answer remains the same no matter which A cities are involved.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

Thank you all. Although we are not 90 we are not all fortunate enough to be in great physical condition and one of us is disabled at the moment. We are not considering a car and driver for our entire 4 days. Rather as I posted we are considering a car and driver from MRS to Aix (quoted 60 Euro) and Aix to Arles (quote 25 euro) which seems reasonable to us considering we will get help with the luggage. However the other points are well taken and we will give some more consideration as to whether to rent a car or go the car and driver route.

Thank you again.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

larover...my apologies for taking your thread off topic with my "egg nog" addled reading abilities. BTW although I always enjoy a good Caribbean spiced rum with my "nog" ....for the few times a year I drink it...I go for the "high test" stuff. No egg nog light for me.......:-).

Back to your concerns......enjoyment of Provence can often be dictated by the ability to "meander."

So, a more compact place like Arles might be the way to go. Aix....although it is, for the most part flat...might be a bit of a challenge for someone who has a temporary mobility issue. It is just a bigger place.

NImes is also fairly flat....a lot of what you would want to see is relatively clustered and it is an absolutely glorious destination.

L'Isle sur la Sorgue might work for you as it is very user friendly place for somebody who has some temporary mobility challenges..

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

Thank you datthecoast. Those are very helpful suggestions and we will look into them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

Happy to help. Let us know what other questions we can answer for you....

16. Re: Rental Car or Car Service for Short Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence