We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering 1st trip to Aix need some help

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Considering 1st trip to Aix need some help

Hi -

I think as a part of a summer (not this summer) trip to France with my daughter (pre-teen) and Husband (part of the time) I'd like to spend 1-2 weeks in the south of France. So I have some questions which I hope you have answers that can point me in the right direction as I start planning.

We would have a car during our time. Goals of the trip - relax, get a good feel of the area by visiting villages, have some cultural experiences (would love some cooking or art classes), visits to vineyards, seeing flowers, taking walks and warm good weather.

Ideally we would either rent one place for two weeks or rent in one area for a week and another for a second week. We would like to rent in the countryside but located close to some of the places we would visit . I would like a bucolic setting. Hopefully this "wants" list will help in making suggestions to us.

Questions:

1) Would you recommend 1 2wk stay in one place or 2 1wk stays in 2 areas? And what areas would you recommend?

2) what would be some of the MUST-DOs in this region?

3) Any specific advice about renting a car or driving?

4) If our available time frame is mid May to early August - what would be the optimal 2 week period given our interests?

Thanks in advance for giving me some ideas or suggestions to run with and do additional research about.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering 1st trip to Aix need some help

With 2 weeks at your disposal I would consider a two way split. June is a lovely time -not overly touristed or too hot. Ideal for sightseeing of the cultural type. The two way split would be a week in traditional 'Provence' and a week on the Cote d'Azur where it will be ideal beach weather.

As well as Aix en Provence look at Arles (my favourite) or Avignon. This puts you in reach of the heart of Provence -the rural villages of the Luberon.

For the Cote d'Azur think about Villefranche or Antibes. Or Nice which will give you the eminently cultural side of the Riviera.

Ed

2. Re: Considering 1st trip to Aix need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence