We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best options from Aix?

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best options from Aix?

I will be staying in Aix in June for 5 days, without the use of a car. I am keen to visit towns, like Arles and St Remy. Can anyone suggest good options for tours or public transport to visit other parts of Provence?

Margaret

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best options from Aix?

The best option would be to rent a car. Many places are not available without one.

From Aix en Provence, take the train to Avignon then train/bus to either Arles or St Rémy.

For information about tours, contact the Office de Tourisme:

http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/

http://www.ot-avignon.fr/

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best options from Aix?

I've spent many weeks in Aix for language immersion programs. I'd usually strongly recommend a car in Provence, since many special places aren't accessible by public transport and it gives you lots of flexibility in terms of your schedule. You can see much more in a day if you have a car. That said, most of us at the language school didn't have a car and Aix is a good base to see something of Provence using public transportation.

The tourist office is a great resource and can help you book half-day and day tours from Aix. You can see the list of available tours on this page: …aixenprovencetourism.com/aix-excursions.htm You could go to Cassis, St. Remy/Les Baux, Monaco, Arles and Avignon, the Camargue, and the Luberon villages. I'm very partial to the Luberon, and I'd highly recommend taking one of those trips.

Bus service from Aix is very good. There are many buses a day to Marseille, for example. This website offers some suggestions of how to read the bus timetables beyond.fr/travel/bus04-schedules-provence-fr… but you could also get schedules from the tourist office and talk to the people there about the best options.

The TGV station is out of town, but there is a station for local trains right in Aix, and this offers some other options. I visited friends in Bandol-- a coastal town I really enjoy. I took the train to Marseille and changed to a train for Bandol. The Bandol station is a very short walk to the waterfront and there are excursion boats you can take from Bandol. The same train line stops in Cassis, but the station is much further from the waterfront and you'd need to take a bus or taxi down to the port.

There is also excellent bus service within Aix and its immediate surroundings. You could visit the concentration camp at Les Milles http://www.campdesmilles.org/home2.html which just opened to the public in late 2012.

Kathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best options from Aix?

Many thanks for your advice. I will continue to research based on your ideas.

4. Re: Best options from Aix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 17:44
Edited: 13 January 2016, 17:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best options from Aix?

You can also use public transportation to marseille and Cassis

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best options from Aix?

Thanks for your help.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best options from Aix?

It's very easy to get to Marseille from Aix, either by train or (my own preference) the bus shuttle. The bus is very regular (every five minutes at peak times), just as fast and cheaper and safer than the train - this particular train line has has security issues caused by local yobs in recent months. Cassis is somewhat more awkward by public transport, though.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 10:27
8. Re: Best options from Aix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:25