We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

Hello everyone

Still perusing some options. Friends of mine love Aix to bits and so I thought I'd give it a week - with day trips. I have 8 nights, of which 1 or 2 will be nearer to the Cathar Castles and Carcassonne, and the rest in or near Aix.

Is that too long for Aix and day trips available by train? I doubt I will have a car but it will depend on what I ferret out to do. Will I need a car for some of my trips? I've already visited Arles, St Remy, Bonnieux, Les Baux, Ile Sur la Sorgue and that region which mostly did need a car - I don't need to go back on this trip.

Current day trip thoughts include Avignon (I've been through several times but just to pick up the TGV or a car), Cassis (les Calanques), Marseille, the Camargue (which may require a car, I suspect - and would this be better as an overnight or two before Aix)?

I will have a day or two before I arrive in Aix which will be closer to Carcassone and I will have a car for that brief portion. I could extend the car and overnight time for the Camargue before heading to Aix if that is needed?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

I guess my main question right now is:

Will I get so much more from a Calanques visit if I stay in Cassis? Can I reduce the hotel movement by just one hotel if I visit the Calanques from Aix?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

You don't have to stay in cassis to enjoy the callanques if that is what you're asking. But cassis is worth a visit.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

ps. I'll do some reading before sorting this out. Eight nights just isn't enough for this coast.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

Hi

Just an update, thank you for sticking with me.

After some readings, here is my plan:

Leave Barcelona.

Two nights in Collioure. No car, stay in or near town.

Pick up car - head to Limoux for one night. During that day, and part of the next, visit Cathar castles and Carcassonne.

Drive to Cassis for two nights. I may keep the car because if I cannot hike due to conditions, I can drive some of the coast. Boat ride to Calanques, at least.

End visit with three nights in Aix.

How does that sound?

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

We stayed in hotels with parking lots in cassis and Aix. Les Roches Blanches and Villa Gallici. There are also parking lots in Cassis that I remember seeing. Enjoy!

Northport, New York
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

How was your trip? My wife and I are looking to plan our 10-year anniversary and well will already be Mougins (outside Nice) for a few days with friends. We will then have 8 nights to travel in Provence and its overwhelming the number of different villages to see. We plan to have a car the entire time but ideally would like to limit our hotel to 1 maybe 2 locations and just do day trips. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bedford, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

Yes, I'd love to know how your enjoyed your trip! How did you wind up spending your time? My family and I will be in Aix for a week in August.

Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

A week in Aix seems like too much, but not in the vicinity. The Aix tourism office has lots of great brochures (in English) which list and books guided day trips in minivans in Provence. We're planning to go in late June and are rethinking our plan to rent a car. As with any guided tour you have to decide whether the loss of spontaneity and higher cost is worth it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

mr-pinguini.....this thread is from last June. The Original Poster travelled last fall.

Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How to spend a week in Aix (too much?).

Well, it's still open so maybe it will help someone else (my rationalization for not noticing).