We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
207 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

We will be driving from Lausanne, Switzerland and have six days before we get the train in Narbonne for Barcelona. I am thinking of four nights in Arles, one in Carcassonne and one in Narbonne. Will I be sorry if we don't visit Aix-en-Provence? I would like help in grouping the following places into what is doable in a day:Les Baux, Pont du Gard, Avignon, Camargue, Roussilon, Venasque and Albi. Can any of these be done on the day we drive to Carcassonne from Arles? I knew Albi and the hill towns are a bit out of the way. I would appreciate any help available.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

Since you'll be heading for Spain, Aix would be a bit out of your way. Four nights in Arles would let you visit that itneresting city, the Pont du Gard, Les Baux, St-Rémy, Avignon, and the Camargue. Adding Roussillon--and the other perched villages of the Lubéron, would be stretching your time.

Do try to fit Albi in somehow--the cathedral is really splendid, and the Toulouse-Lautrec museum is excellent.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
207 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

Thank you Catullus for the reply. I thought Aix and the villages were out of the way. I just needed someone to confirm. Maybe next time...How would you group the other cities into day trips from Arles?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

Either a half or a whole day in Nîmes, depending on what you want to see and how hot it is there if you'll be visiting in summer. On another day, visit the amazing ruins at Les Baux, the small town of St-Rémy, and the Pont du Gard. On a third day (saving one for Arles) drive to Avignon for a half day, then on to the Lubéron and see Gordes; Roussillon is farther along and you might not have time for it.

You might be able to fit in the Camargue when you leave for Carcassonne.

Enjoy it all!

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

If you want to be busy all day:

- Les Baux, St Remy (market on Sat?) & Camargue in one day

- Pont du Gard & Avignon

- Rousillion, Luberon one day

- Arles half day - good market on Satruday

For me, Albi is too far for a day trip

Don't forget to leave time for sitting in a cafe relaxing. Great in St Remy or Arles' Place du Forum

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
207 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

Thank you for the replies. I have plenty to think about. Ms R London, you are correct about needing time to sit and relax. We plan to work thats into the schedule.

6. Re: Should I see Aix?/itinerary for four days for Arles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:16