We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Arles without a car?

Which Arles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Arles without a car?

I am looking to stay somewhere in Provence (probably either Avignon or Arles) and am hoping to be able to do so without renting a car (instead, we will use a tour guide once or twice). Is this a mistake? Which town (Avignon or Arles) and area within the town would be more conducive to us not having a car? We would like to be able to walk to and from restaurants and possibly some other sites without having to worry about drinking and driving in a foreign country. If you have any recommendations for hotels or b&bs in Avignon, Arles or anywhere else that might fit our requirements, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks in advance for the help. (I am posting this message on both the Avignon and Arles boards). If the consensus is to get a car, we will probably end up doing that then. Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

Both Avignon and Arles would fit the bill, as you would have plenty of choice for hotels and restaurants within walking distance. Both cities are also excellent for accessing train service to other areas you might want to visit. However, to visit some of the principal sights of western Provence, such as the Lubéron villages, a car would be useful. You could just park it at dinner time and walk to your chosen restaurant.

What is your budget, in Euros, for accommodations?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

We probably would like to keep it around (or under) 150 euros a night.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

Arles or Avignon would be a good base if you do not have a car, as they have better public transport links than most other towns. However, public transport in the area is very sparse, and a car is almost essential if you want to see interesting smaller places such as Les Baux, Gordes, the Luberon villages, or Fontaine-de-Vaucluse.

If you do decide to have a car, you would do better to stay somewhere smaller where parking will be less of a problem. Either St-Remy-de-Provence or L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue would be good.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

As others have commented, you can see some of Provence (Avignon, Arles, Aix) using buses and trains...but to really explore, you need a car. Public transport in Provence is set up to get French citizens to and from work and school, not to facilitate touristic travel.

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

I can't drive and nearly always use buses and trains to get around Provence. You can get to most places, but you have to plan ahead. It all depends where you want to go? Eg you can't get to Les Baux by public transport at this time of year, but it's easy to get to St Remy from either Arles or Avignon.

I would choose Arles over Avignon as it's more pedestrianised and nicer to walk around in the evening. There are loads of things to interest the visitor, five roman sites, buildings connected with van Gogh, the cathedral etc.

The most useful bus timetables are here:

…vaucluse.fr/transvaucluse/infos_horaires.php

and here

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/…

Timetables for local trains are here:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx click on the arrow under 'Mon parcours' and the lines will list.

6. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2015, 19:35
Edited: 10 November 2015, 19:35
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

I think the better question would be where to stay in Arles (or Avignon) WITH a car! Parking in both cities can be a nightmare in high season. I prefer Arles to Avignon, but both are great for walkability and restaurants, cafés, shopping, etc.

I do disagree that you can get just about everywhere on public transportation. If you've never had a car in Provence, you can't really know what you've missed by not having one.

You don't say how long you are planning to be in Provence, but one thing you might consider is getting a car for part of your stay and moving from Arles or Avignon to someplace in the Lubéron or Alpilles so you can drive around and see the backroads and villages.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

I would say Arles was the best for walking around and seeing stuff of various eras and connections elsewhere by public transport are easy.

Avignon is very easy to get to from Arles. You could even split your time between them.

I think people who drive every where often don't have a clue about organising trips by public transport - horses for courses

when are you planning to travel? what type of hotel?

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

I didn't say 'just about everywhere' I said 'most places'. And I have twice been fortunate enough to spend holidays being driven around by friends, so I know what the difference is. A lot depends on which places the OP wants to visit. She was asking specifically about public transport and very few people on these forums apart from SelkieNice and me actually use public transport. We are in a good position to advise.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 21:00
New Jersey
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Arles without a car?

Thanks for all the feedback. You have all given me quite a lot to think about. Your feedback makes me think I should, perhaps, rent a car for a day or 2 and use a guide once or twice. We haven't fine tuned the length of our stay yet, but it will prob be about 4 or 5 nites. Thx again.