We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

I have read many Arles hotel recommendations and am a little confused by the varying reviews and comments. Some say great, others, it's filthy. Some say rooms huge, others, rooms pokey.

I will be in Arles alone for 3 days and so my room is quite important but I lost! I would prefer clean and modern, it doesn't need Provencal style, but would like to be able to walk to Railway Station if possible and was looking at hotels between there and the Amiphitheatre.

Am I missing something? And most are 2 and 3 star, and though I know Arles is not a major overnight destination, it seems a little strange. Can anyone guide me!?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

There are 18 hotels in Arles that have a 4 "circle" or more rating on TA. Just do a search and choose what is in your price range.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

The mix of reviews is par for the course on TA - sorry beloved TA - they are meaningless and one reason I pay no attention.

Most hotels in most French towns are homely 2 and 3 star establishments and the international style all - feature hotel where they put a chocolate on your pillow and offer 24 hour room service is rare outside places like Cannes and Monaco.

For what its worth I have found the Forum Hotel in the main square in Arles delightful - a tiny pool and several cats occupy the yard (and it features the obligatory blue shutters). . About 10 mins walk from the station and more or less beside the Amphitheatre. A square full of outdoor restaurants await you outside their front door.

Ed

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

I doubt if there is any hotel on TA from 1 star to 4 star that doesn't have its fans--and a certain number of detractors. By American standards, most hotel rooms are small; so the person who is comparing in this manner will say that the room is "pokey", as you put it. Another person, comparing with where he/she stayed the night before in France may think that it is huge. And rooms within the same hotel can vary widely in size. You really just have to do your homework and then make a decision; if it's clean and comfortable, how bad can it be for three nights?

And while we're recommending hotels, I liked the Hotel d'Arlatan in Arles, but it is decorated in traditional Provencal style as opposed to modern.

Good luck and happy traveling!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

I write lots of reviews on TA so I also refer to TA reviews when looking for a place to stay. One has to be able to read between the lines. Yes, every hotel will have its ticked off customer but the reviews should have a consistency. In other words, its ok to see a one-bubble review as long as the rest are four and five bubbles. It is not ok when every other review is a bad one. One also needs to watch out for the first-time reviewers gushing about a place. Unfortunately, proprietors, their friends and family do get busy writing away, but it is easy to spot them.

5. Re: Arles Hotel Reviews - seem very inconsistent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:19