We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel from Paris to Avignon

Toronto, Ont
1 post
Save Topic
train travel from Paris to Avignon

We are new to the Provence area and seriously considering taking the train from Paris (CDG airport) to Avignon and then picking up a car. We checked into the website www.voyages-sncf.com and found a return fare of 50E. Can anyone tell us the closet train station from CDG - it is listing 6 or more options?

Also, does anyone have info. on cheapest car rentals rates from TGV in Avignon?

We have booked 7 nights at Mas du Clos de l'Escarrat near Orange - would love to hear more about this B&B

Thanks.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel from Paris to Avignon

There's a TGV station at CDG. For more infos have a look at

http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an.nsf/$$Affich@ReadForm&cle=X5005205211624491B13FABFF094125687E006DBA25.html

SZ
Covington, KY
Level Contributor
204 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel from Paris to Avignon

As the above post mentioned, the TGV station is right in the airport. It is next to the Terminal with Delta Airlines but I don't recall the terminal number, however, you will find signs leading to it (gare). If you don't buy the tickets in advance, you can purchase them there from an agent or an automatic machine. Personally, I've always had problems with the machines. Make sure you get in the line for Grandes Lignes, rather than the others, if buying your ticket from an agent. There are several trains a day from CDG that will pass through Avignon so you don't need to go into Paris to any other station. If you are buying online, just make sure your station is indicated as CDG. I was in Avignon last Fall and my research then indicated that Alamo was the cheapest car rental. Unfortunately, we were picking up our car a couple of days after our arrival from the train station in the city. Alamo didn't have their desk open there even though we had a reservation for that location and we ended up renting from Avis. The main car rentals are out by the TGV station in Avignon, outside the city, so you shouldn't have any problems there if you have a reservation.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel from Paris to Avignon

Don't take this as absolute gospel, but I *think* there is some quirk in the French automatic ticket machines at the main line stations (or in US credit cards) such that the only American cards that work are AmEx and Diners Club.

There is a reason to buy tickets in advance from www.sncf.com - other than that at peak travel times some trains do sell out fairly early - and that is that the earlier you buy your ticket the less you are likely to have to pay. Of course you are locked in then, and some of these tickets have very limited change options or refundability.

USA/CH
Level Contributor
244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel from Paris to Avignon

We took the TGV from CDG to Avignon last summer with our 10 months old daughter. It was SUPER easy, my native language is French but it's still really easy ;) We purchased our TGV tickets in the U.S., hopped on the TGV (in the airport), hopped off the train in Avignon and walked a few feet to the car rental place (we rented through www.autoeurope.com).

I've found that AutoEurope consistantly has the cheapest rate. Note that their rate inc. all the tax and ins. when you compare to other companies, which typically don't inc. it in the quote.