We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Provence

Glosssop, Derbyshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in Provence

We are a retired couple considering a two week holiday in Provence in June 2009. We thought of a week in Avignon and a week in Aix en Provence but wonder are they too similar and too cityish to make an enjoyable holiday? We shall be relying on public transport. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Provence

For someone "relying on public transport", you'll want to stay in these locations. Some may suggest Arles as well but Avignon really has good albeit infrequent bus service to most all locations in Provence. Once you wander from the hub cities (Avignon, Aix-en-Provence, Marseille, or perhpas Arles), traveling abound becomes increasingly difficult when public transportation is the only option.

In a general sense, renting an auto is highly advised as the exploring possibilities are greatly increased.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Provence

I would second hiring a car if possible.

The roads are good and the driving is easier than the UK and you will be able to see much more.

Blue Mountains
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in Provence

We are in the same position as you and have been trying to work out the best way to see Provence.Am looking to link up with others to do a private 3 day tour to cut costs.We will be in Avignon in the middle of June and have looked at www.ventoux-decovertes.com They have a 3 day tour which covers a wide range of sights.Have sent you a message.

I am open to any suggestions from other posters who know Provence.

Frank

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in Provence

We were in Avignon in August and my advice would be to hire a car as suggested by Sarastro & Boucheboy. If you positively hate driving you could take a tour recommended by the tourist info office. Some people staying in our B&B did that and liked it. Navigo Decouverte is a one man show and very unprofessional (read my trip report). We got taken in by the website and took two private tours with him and were very disappointed. If you can afford it hire a taxi instead!

Avignon
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in Provence

One opinion is not enough.

I found others.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187212-i675-k1252…

We just returned from a trip to Provence and Paris. While in Provence, we did a three day tour with Alain Lesomptier. We cannot speak highly enough of him and his services. Check out his website at www.ventoux-decouvertes.com. You should definitely reserve his services in advance by email. He always responds immediately, and will tailor the tour to your preferences. Alain knows the region well, is flexible, makes great suggestions, is a safe driver, and his English is very good. We hope to return and travel with him again someday!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in Provence

Mashet: Is the name noted above the person who was your tour guide??

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in Provence

Yes Toutou, this is the same person. Read the above review. We went with Alain based on these reviews and his website in the first place. All the more resaon why we were so disappointed. We thought he was a glorified driver at best. When you say "Guided tour" I expect the guide to take us around and point out interesting sights and talk about them. We used a guide (Stefan) in Rhodes and he walked us around Rhodes and Lindos and took us to a couple of restaurants and introduced us to the owners! He didnt just drop us off at the entrance and say "Be back in 45 min."! Alain heard us talking to that effect between us on Day 1, and brought a guide book with him the next day! He would open it to the corresponding page and send us off!

Despite all this, his taking off to have lunch with his mother on our time, without checking with us in advance was unforgivable!

Olivier of wine uncovered on the other hand deserves all the praise on this forum and more.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in Provence

Celine Avignon, have you used Ventoux decouvertes yourself? Find it strange that you find my review objectionable without having tried him out! My review describes our experience with this company. While all companies receive good and bad reviews, dont you think people should form their own opinion? Now they know, let them choose?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in Provence

I just returned from Avignon. I used these people for mini van tours and can recommend them very highly. Ask for David.

avignon-et-provence.com/tourism-in-provence/…

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in Provence

What Celine Avignon continues to do is cut and paste the comments of one individual: (1) without giving credit to the original poster and (2) buy the omission of quotation marks or properly citing his/her source, leads one to infer that he/she has written this evaluation based upon his/her own experience.

Furthermore, Celine Avignon offers no personal critic or constructive information of his/her own in regards to Ventoux-decouvertes or his services which on the whole, leads one to question Celine Avignon's motives.

One might thereby conclude, in the absence of further evidence, that the posts of Celine Avignon are nothing other than a thinly disguised effort at self promotion. A practice to which I strongly object.