We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

My husband and I are going to be making an overnight stop in Avignon between Lyon and Marsielle. We'll be arriving Sept. 26 mid-morning and leaving during the morning on Sept. 27 by train.

I'm wondering if we have time to see both the Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard. Or should we just focus on one spot?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

If you are staying in Avignon, I recommend your taking the bus to Pont du Gard as your primary objective. If you find you have sufficient time remaining to visit the Palace des Papes, it can be accomplished in 1-2 hours.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

You easily can see them both the day you arrive. Also see the cathedral next to the palace.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

In all honesty, since you only have one day, (arriving and leaving mid-morning) you really do not have enought time to really "see/visit" both the Palais du Papes in Avignon and the Pont du Gard.

Since you are staying in Avignon, I would recommend that you check in, visit the Palais des Papes, have lunch, take a short walk and explore the nearby shopping area, then visit the Musee du Petit Palais and the Bridge that is so famous because of the song, where they supposedly danced "sur le pont".

Frankly, if you don't have a car, the Pont du Gard is WAY too far from Avignon, given the limited amounted amount of time that you have in the region (and outrageously expensive if you don't have a car, and, even if you do, check out the map and I think that you will agree with me). Furthermore, IMHO, The PdG is really not that wonderful and certainly not worth a super long detour - I have to confess that I am, without a doubt in the minority with regard to this opinion vis-a-vis the PdG.

While it sounds as if you are are on a trip where you are relocating every night (which, in all honesty, is not the best way to visit Provence, since the region is relatively compact and easily explored from a single base) if you want to see wonderful Roman ruins, you should consider visiting Arles, Nimes. St.Remy, Les Baux, Vaison-la-Romaine, Orange, Nimes etc. For Medieval ruins, think about visiting Les Baux, Tarascon, Beauvaire, and venturing down into the Camargue

Bon voyage!

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,407 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

Whilst I disagree with Alpillesgirl about the wonderful PdG (& I also love all the parts of the aqueduct you can see along the way to Uzes), I do agree that you don't have time to see it. Take your time in Avignon and enjoy that, rather than trying to rush about doing too much.

Do go up the hill for the view, too.

Have a lovely trip, but take time out to just look and wander. Maybe you'll be back in the future - think what you'll have to look forward to!

Jo

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

Here is the bus schedule from Avignon to Pont du Gard:

www.pontdugard.fr/telecharger.php…

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

I concur with AlpillesGal - Pont du Gard though interesting is not high on my list of priorities of things to see when you have a limited time and no car.

Avignon has lots of history, some good restaurants and some nice cafes to just sit and people watch.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

If driving is an option for you, Pont du Gard is about 28 km from Avignon, roughly half an hour's drive. The TGV station has rental agencies. Perhaps the old train station does as well, but you would have to check that. Some companies also have pickup and dropoff locations in the city.

The drive to Remoulins is straightforward. Watch for the Pont du Gard left bank signs. A decent cafeteria has lunch options. Return to Avignon in plenty of time to check into your hotel, return the car and go see the palace. It closes at 19:00 the day you'll be there. The palace self-guided audio tour is scheduled for 1.5 hours, though we did it in about an hour.

If you don't want to drive, the public bus suggestion by Sarastro will work, though the time would be tighter on seeing the palace at the end of the day. Alternatively, there are tours to Pont du Gard which you could take in the afternoon after seeing the palace upon arrival. The tours I researched included more than Pont du Gard and took the entire afternoon. Perhaps your hotel could arrange that for you.

It all depends on your preferences and priorities. If you like ancient sites, Pont du Gard is wonderful. One man's junk is another man's treasure--anon

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

the palace is a big empty cavernous and rather boring building especially if you have seen many another big empty cavernous ancient palace

the Pont du Gard is one of the great wonders of the world -- the best hotel room I ever had in 50 years of travel had a floor to ceiling wide window that looked out onto the Pont -- I was able to lie in bed all night and see it filling my window in the moonlight -- to have breakfast gazing out from the terrace at it (and watch tour buses drive up and see tourists hop off, take a snapshot, load back up and drive on)

walking across it (can one still do that?) was breathtaking -- the thing itself is amazing -- when we were there you could walk across the top or through the watercourse depending on your courage level

I have seen the Aqueduct park in Rome and Aqueducts elsewhere but nothing as impressive as the Pont du Gard except the Coloseum in Rome

If I had to pick one, it would be the Pont --

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

Thank you all for your responses.

I should have explained, perhaps, that my husband and I will be spending two days in Lyon, then making the overnight in Avignon because my husband wanted to see it, then moving on to Marsielle for three days before we're off to Italy.

We're going to be doing the Vatican when we're in Rome, so I almost wonder if I should skip the Pope's Palace. I would love to see the aqueducts, but maybe I'll see them elsewhere.

Thank you all, again. My husband and I will have to have a chat about where we want to spend that day.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day, Pope's Palace and Pont du Gard?

when you say 'doing the Vatican' do you mean going to the Vatican Museum? If so that is not even slightly similar to the Palace at Avignon. but I stand by my view that the palace is not at the top of the list of interesting old empty buildings.

the Pond du Gard is not just an aqueduct (and in fact no longer functions as one) -- it is this incredible three tiered wonder

definitely the most interesting thing in that neck of the woods -- I hope one day to paddle the Gard in a canoe in that stretch -- I'll bet that is a stunning sight -- to see if from the water