We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations?

Could someone be kind enough to recommend a hotel in Avignon that meets the following requirements?

Essential requirements:

1. No more than a short taxi ride from the train station (arriving from Paris on TGV if there's more than 1 station)

2. Parking available

3. 4* or good quality 3* (5* would be fine if there are bargains to be had, but not looking to pay serious 5* prices)

4. Walking distance to nice restaurants

Nice-to-have requirements (in order of importance):

1. Not too noisy

2. Bar (either in hotel or nearby) with good selection of local wines

3. Free parking

4. Walking distance from train station

Thanks

NM

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Essential requirements:

1. No more than a short taxi ride from the train station (arriving from Paris on TGV if there's more than 1 station)

Just in case you didn't know, there is a shuttle that runs between the Avignon TGV station and the city. It is not free, but is under 3 euros per person. It drops you just across from the main SNCF station. However, there are taxis at the taxi stand in front of the TGV station and/or a taxi can be reserved in advance if you so choose.

As to hotel. Have a look at this one:

http://www.heurope.com/intro.php

You don't give a budget and the above hotel does not come cheap, but it ticks all your other desires.

2. Parking available

It is available at the hotel, but must be reserved in advance (if memory serves) and it is 16 euros per day. There are many free lots within easy walking distance to the hotel. They do fill up in July and August.

3. 4* or good quality 3* (5* would be fine if there are bargains to be had, but not looking to pay serious 5* prices)

The hotel is 4 star I believe. The hotel itself has a very good restaurant. It is also within very short walking distance to some other excellent restos.

4. Walking distance to nice restaurants

Answered above.

Nice-to-have requirements (in order of importance):

1. Not too noisy

It is on a square with only very small side streets near it.

2. Bar (either in hotel or nearby) with good selection of local wines

Hotel has it.

3. Free parking

As noted there are free lots very near the hotel, but the hotel itself charges if you use their services.

4. Walking distance from train station

There is nothing worth staying at within walking distance from the TGV station. The SNCF station (centre ville) is another story, but you are arriving at TGV, so you need to take the shuttle or taxi into the centre ville to get to this or any other hotel in Avignon that is likely to meet your desires.

There are others, but since you don't give a budget, I'm suggesting the top of the line.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Sorry, forgot to include the link to reserving a taxi in advance, just in case you want to do that.

http://www.taxis-avignon.fr/

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,708 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Toutou's suggestion of the Hotel d'Europe would be my first choice. It's a very friendly property and has all of what you seek.

Another hotel with the same basic services (well basic is the wrong word) might be the Mirande:

http://www.la-mirande.fr/

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Many thanks for that. I think the Mirande could be a bit outside our price range. However, the Hotel d'Europe looks lovely. I'll see what Mrs Maximus thinks, but on a quick look it seems to meet our requirements very nicely indeed.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Well, Mrs Maximus thinks the Hotel d'Europe looks good as well. So we've booked it, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to our stay there.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Thanks again for the suggestions! The Hotel Europe was indeed lovely, and I was very glad we stayed there.

I've written a review of it, which is still pending right now but will no doubt appear on TA very shortly.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations?

Glad you enjoyed your stay. I'll look for your review.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
129 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations?

We have stayed at the Hotel d'Europe 3 times and I would say it fits all your requirements - with the exception of the free parking. We actually walked from the TGV station to the hotel - but it is about a 10-15 minute walk - a great walk by the way. The hotel has a great location, great ambiance, very nice rooms and a super restaurant and patio/bar. Definitely a thumbs up!

9. Re: Hotel recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 07:16