We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
754 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

There will be 4 of us senior ladies arriving about 3pm from Paris on a Friday 27 of November and then depart on Monday November 30 for CDG at 6:30PM. How to spend our time so that we can see and experience the most for a brief period of time in Provence. We are staying in Avignon, and will rent a car. When we arrive in Avignon on Friday, we hope to have enough time to see the Popes Palace and walk around and eat dinner. We know that we will go to L’Isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday for the antiques. We would love to see Pont du Gard, Arles, Nimes, St. Remy, Chateauneuf du pape, Orange. What is the best itinerary what do we leave out? Help please.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

A one day itinerary for you might be: start off in St Remy(the van Gough walk is great. Make sure you include Glanum on the outskirts of town, near the sanitarium where Van Gough stayed. It's an ancient greek/roman town - (I think the site closes at noon for two hours but am not sure - you might want to start your morning here). From St Remy it's a short ride to Les Baux de provence - the ruins of a middle ages chateau - it's set up for a self guided walk through and there are great views of the Mediterranean on clear days. If you have time, you could include a stop in Arles. You wont be able to really give the town its due, however.

You might include either Pont du Gard on your Sunday itinerary if you have the time after Sorgue. I am not sure of the exact mileage, but it's not tremendously far from Avignon. an alternative to Pont du Gard would be Chateauneuf - I wouldn't try to do both.

A good site to get routes and mileage for driving is www.viamichelin.com -just put in your start point/destination and they will give you a route.

jhgrady

Washington DC
Level Contributor
754 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

thanks so much. What would you suggest for Monday? we will have all day as the train does not leave until 6:38pm.

we are getting so excited.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

Oops, I misread your posting; I thought you were leaving on Sunday. I would still try for either Pont du Gard or Chateauneuf on Sunday. Depending on the time you spend at the market might get to both. Pont du Gard is lovely in the late afternoon.

I might leave Arles for Monday; it's not very far from Avignon. If you wanted to include another stop, consider Aigues Mortes-it's a lovely small town down toward la Camargue, not too far from Arles, and has a walled fort/chateau where you can walk the whole way around. It was built by Louis the 9th I believe - There are great views of the ocean and the historical explanations of the various parts of the fort are excellent. we were so glad we went there.Other option for Monday would be Nimes (haven't been but hear it is lovely ) or a Orange/Chateauneuf de Pape trip.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
754 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

thanks again. I will look at the map and see what I think we can do based on your suggestions. Thank for taking the time.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

You really do not have a lot of time.

Your plan to walk around Avignon on your arrival is good and there are lots of places to eat. I am just not sure if you will have time to visit the Palais de Papes - you might want to leave that until Monday.

My thoughts are based on trying to save time in seeing sights that you possibly do not have enough time for.

Miss out Orange and Chateauneuf. There are nicer towns than Orange and Chateauneuf is a small village surrounded by vineyards with not a lot to see

I will stick my neck out here and suggest you do not visit La Isle sur la Sorgues on the Sunday. It is a nightmare to park in and the antiques are not up to much. I would suggest you visit on the Saturday when you can easily park (thus saving you vaulable time) and enjoy the pretty town without the throngs of the crowds on the Sunday. (I can hear the howls of protest from other forum users.)

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

We have just returned from our trip which included a 3 night stay in St Remy, which we absolutely loved.

We visited Arles which had a market on a Saturday morning and then went to Abbaye de Montmajor just on the outskirts of Arles. On the Sunday we went to the markets L'isle sur la Sorgue which we really enjoyed (not into antiques but there were a lot of other things to look at). Parking shouldn't be a problem if you get their early enough. We went on to Fontaine de Vaucluse for lunch after the markets....loved Fontaine...had a lovely lunch at Brasserie Les Terrasses. On the may back we went to a Lavendar Farm (not sure exactly where it was).

When you get your hire car I would strongly suggest a GPS. It takes all the worry out of where you are...and how you get back from there.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
754 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

Thanks for everyones advice. Time is fast approaching and I still have not decided between Arles and Nimes. We have are car rental and I purchased a Garmin GPS with the Europs maps installed. We arrive on Friday afternoon and depart late on Monday. So we have to decide Nimes or Arles. Which is easier to drive to and see in a shor time?

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
236 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

I vote for Arles. Was just there for 3 night a few weeks ago. Really nice place to base from too.

9. Re: What to do in 3 days? Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2010, 05:18