We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Halles question

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Les Halles question

Hello all,

I was going over plans with my family for our trip the first part of April and an interesting question came up. With 6 people to cook for, I will need to hit Les Halles daily for supplies. Does Les Halles have shopping bags to carry away or do I need to pack along a few string bags?

Thanks all.

Mark and Nita

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Halles question

Les Halles is an indoor market so most people bring their own baskets.

We always find it great to walk around Les Halles but we only buy by exception on specific items as it can can be more expensive than outside. The stall holders love a tourist and can take advantage. On an early Provence trip we nearly blew our whole budget at a cheese stall because the stall holder was very insistant on the size of the lump of cheese he was prepared to sell us!

We are always amazed at the variety and quality of the fresh foods available in the out of town Hyper Marche - cheaper than Les Halles and no parking problems.

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Halles question

Thanks much!

We dont have a car so Im stuck with places close enough to walk each morning. I may need to do more digging on google maps for other options.

Mark and Nita

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Halles question

There are plenty of place to purchase life´s necessities at the center of Avignon, you shouldn´t need go very far.

Either purchase there or take with you a small shopping basket (there are collapsible types which you can pack). Most people use their own shopping baskets as the trend is for fewer and fewer stores to supply bags.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Halles question

And keep in mind that many stores will charge you for a bag if you do not bring your own.

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Halles question

Yeah, I finally reset my American brain and searched for "marche" instead of "market" and its amazing what I found...

Last year when we visited Avignon for a day, life's necessities were coffee and pastries. I think I will need to do better this year since we are there for a week =)

Mark and Nita

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Halles question

Les Halles will be a great place to do your daily shopping if you're staying near the centre of Avignon and don't have transport. Many local people do their shopping there because it is so convenient, and they haven't got money to throw away!

If you're staying further out and have transport you might well find that a supermarket is near to you. However, we use a hypermarket weekly but rarely buy fresh food there, preferring our twice weekly market and the small local fresh food shops. Food is of a good quality and very fresh at these small shops.

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Les Halles question

We are staying less than 4 blocks from Les Halles so that was my original thought. I found some other options fairly close this morning.

What the heck, we are going back to Avignon for the specific goal of wandering around relaxing and doing nothing much, so looking for great shopping opportunities is all part of the fun.

Mark and Nita

8. Re: Les Halles question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 05:20