We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base to explore the region for 5 days in june?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

Best is such a subjective term. You will get many "best" recommendations. Personally, I would pick a small village in the Luberon, particularly in June because of blooming lavender. Here are some options if you choose the Luberon: Gordes, Bonneux, or Roussilon [sp]. Of course, you could pick the crowd pleasing St. Remy, a little larger than the above with more dining and hanging out options, and just drive a little further out on your day trip(s) to the Luberon. You really cannot go wrong, but I cannot tell you what would be the best for you.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

Do you have a car?

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

yes i do.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

Well then, no problem with any of the above. Please come back and tell us which "base" you chose and how it worked out for you. In the interim, I will continue to stay green with envy..

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

We just spent four nights in St. Remy and were very happy with it. It was central to what we wanted to see. Plus a cute little town with lots of good restaurants an shopping.

Make your list of where you want to go, then pick something central to your list.

6. Re: what is the best place to stay outside of avignon as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 05:16