We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

Hi all,

We're going to base in Avignon for 3 full days in mid June and have a rental car. We are planning to spend a day in Avignon, a day for side trips to few towns that are South of Avignon (Arles, St. Remy, etc ...), and a day for towns to the north of Avignon (Orange? vineyard?). However, one of the 3 days is a Sunday, and have read that shops close on Sunday, so should we plan for the northern or southern towns of Avignon for a Sunday?

Thanks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

Shops are closed on Sunday.

This might be a good time to visit Pont du Gard and possibly Uzès which I might suggest over visiting Orange:

http://www.pontdugard.fr/

http://www.uzes-tourisme.com/

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

If it's Sunday, I vote for going to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. It is a lovely town with an awesome market every Sunday, that includes a large number of antique dealers. Go early, enjoy the market, and consider enjoying a wonderful mid-day meal at one of the wonderful restaurants alon the banks of the Sorgue.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

I SO agree with the L'Isle sur la Sorgue market!!! Such fun and such a charming village/town to boot! Scope out where you'd like to have lunch by the water and make a reservation (if you can) or get there before the crowds get there!

Enjoy!

luvparee

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

I agree with AlpillesGal - though I must say it does get very crowded.

If you are seeing Avignom, Arles and St Remy and a morning at La Isle I think miss out Orange and just leave yourself a slack time to do the things that will just crop up in Provence.

Our days never go to plan as we always find an interesting diversion.

UK
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

I would also go to l'Isle; have a huge lunch there and then go up to Fontaine de Vaucluse to finish off the afternoon.

6. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 November 2015, 13:59
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

I'm muddying the waters, but I'd give ISLS a miss, also St Remy, but I do like Orange for the wonderful theatre. I love the Pont du Gard, which I find stunning, even though I visit it often, and Uzès, which is compact, with medieval buildings, arcades, lovely towers, beautiful fountains.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

An hour East from Avignon is the Luberon. Personally, I would rather wander around there with most of the places closed than other places with everything open. The Luberon is special. Check it out.

http://theluberon.com/

provence-luberon-news.com/en/Products-of-Pro…

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

Even if it is in the Gard and not technically Provence Uzès is what St. Rémy and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue claim to be - the quintessential, old word town and a step back into another time. Uzès has not been over-run by tourists as has other more well known destinations in Provence, it remains charming, surprisingly architecturally intact, and maintains the authentic feel of another age.

However, if you are the type of person who would rather shop than visit a magnificent Roman structure such as the Pont du Gard and the nearby old town of Uzès, by all means you´ll enjoy the vast weekend market at Isle-sur-la-Sorgue but arrive there early.

Edited: 25 May 2010, 04:37
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avignon & side trips in 3 days with car

Well said Sarastro. Agree 100%