We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Other than renting a car (which we don't want to do), what is the simplest way to get between Avignon and Monte Carlo? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

By train. There are some direct journeys and for others you have to change at Nice. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel and for the best price you should book as soon as possible. Walk-up price is €51.50 but advance purchase can be as little as €22.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Australia or Great Britain as the "Ticket collection country" on the first screen. If you use USA, you get another site that has much higher prices and does not list all the trains.

If you can get the cheapest tickets, known as PREMs, you can print them on your computer, and e-tickets are being introduced for some other journeys. For other tickets, say you want to collect in France. You can collect from a staffed ticket office at a station or from an SNCF boutique shop. If you have a "chip-and-PIN" card, you can also collect from a ticket machine. To collect, you must have the *exact* same card used for the booking.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Unfortunately there are no longer any direct trains from Avignon to Monaco (though there is one a day in the reverse direction). You will have to change trains in Nice.

florida
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Thanks so much for the information. In fact, the trip will be Monaco to Avignon. Can you tell me, please, what time the train leaves Monaco and what time it's due to arrive in Avignon? We'll have considerable luggage with us; I wonder how difficult it'll be to haul our things onto the train (and where to put). We may have to hire some other sort of transfer service.

Thanks again for very helpful feedback.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

The direct train from Monaco to Avignon leaves at 09.06 and arrives at 12.32, but check it runs on your particular day using the website recommended in reply 1. There are lots of other connections requiring one change in Nice.

There are modern lifts down to the platforms at Monaco station, so you won't have any stairs to manage if a taxi drops you at the station entrance. But there are no porters - you will have to manage all your baggage yourself.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

you can organise help at monaco and avignion if disabled /frail -but they are aimed at assisting people not bags. In nice, there are porters who will assit with bags for a fee as well as disabled assistance

for mobility assitance at the stations of nice, monaco and avignon [tgv and centre ] - contact

accesplus@sncf.fr phone 00 33 890 640 650

porters at nice - : from 7h to 22h30 Tarif : 1 to 3 Bags: 4,57 euros 4 to 6 Bags: 7,62 euros Tel: 00 33 493865749 (book 48h before travel)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Also note that TGVs only stop for 2-3 minutes at intermediate stops and there will be no-one at Avignon to help you get your luggage off the train.

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Dear Madam/Sir:

I'll be staying at Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco (Feb. 20-23) I plan to go to Avignion for one day visit. What is my best (cheapest) way to get there and back? I'm a senior citizen in US (65), can I get discouted tickets on buses or trains.

Sincerely,

Paul Somerville

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

Dear Madam/Sir:

I'll be staying at Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco (Feb. 20-23) I plan to go to Avignion for one day visit. What is my best (cheapest) way to get there and back? I'm a senior citizen in US (65), can I get discouted tickets on buses or trains.

Sincerely,

Paul Somerville

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

@nancyFlorida, is there any way to cut down on the amount of luggage?

@psomerv, yes, you can get a discount on trains. Please follow the advice in reply #1 above.

MrsJAS

10. Re: transportation options between Monte Carlo and Avignon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 10:19