We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location for stopover en route to Nice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Location for stopover en route to Nice

Hi If all goes according to plan, we will arrive in Avignon by TGV late afternoon in May, We plan to hire a car and stay overnight somewhere not too far from Avignon (to reduce the travel to Nice the next day or afternoon). Any suggestions as to what might be an easy place to stop with parking? Probably don't want to have to navigate a large town/city, but still have a restaurant or cafe nearby. I saw a review on Les Carmes, but maybe a little out of our way - and maybe not cutting enough of the travel time to Nice the next day. Thx GBlyn

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,071 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location for stopover en route to Nice

I suggest you stay in Avignon overnight, as it's only 2h 30m drive to Nice. You can take a shuttle bus/navette to Avignon centre/old town. The shuttle runs every 20 minutes and takes 10-15 mintes, depending on traffic, and costs about €1.40.

The shuttle bus stop is by city walls in front of the Post Office, and it's just a short walk to the town centre, passing the tourist office en route, if you need any info. If you have a lot of luggage, you could take a taxi to your hotel.

After checking in, you could walk around to see the sights of Avignon and have a meal, enjoy a night in your hotel, next day reverse your steps to pick up your hire car and set off for your short drive to Nice the next day, maybe stopping off for sightseeing on the way.

Here's a link to brochures you can download from the tourist office website, including a plan of Avignon:

www.ot-avignon.fr/outils/brochures-93-1.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location for stopover en route to Nice

Thanks Gardeng - I think we will have one more night available to stay in Provence area. I was thinking we might do a loop of the villages, ie Gordes, Roussillon. Would you still recommend staying in Avignon or from my readings, I'Isle Sur la Sourges or San Remy. Any other suggestions would be really helpful. Thx GBlyn

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location for stopover en route to Nice

St-Remy-de-Provence is a wonderful place to stay! First choice by far. I'Isle Sur la Sourges is not so exciting unless you go on Sundays when the market is a buzz.. Avignon is a fun place to stay and parking is never an issue. Aix-en-Provence would be excellent as well. Doing the loop is a great idea. I would also suggest trying to catch a market day in one of the villages if possible. The tourist office in Avignon has all the info you might need. Enjoy!!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location for stopover en route to Nice

I am so glad that you are thinkjing of doing some exploring on your way from Avignon to Nice. Please pick up the Michelin maps in the Local series (# 340 and #341) - the scenic routes will be highlighted in green, and the maps, when used in conjunction with the Michelin Green Guides for Provence and the Riviera/Cote d'Azur, will provide you with some insight into what you are seeing.

Also, keep in mind that virtually all cities, and most towns that are of interest in highly visited regions have Tourist Offices that are easily accessable on the web - most even have the ability to display in a number of languages.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location for stopover en route to Nice

Thanks guys - I'm getting so excited about this trip - can hardly wait.

6. Re: Location for stopover en route to Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Avignon