We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Avignon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
857 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Avignon

I plan on renting a car and have a hotel near the tgv station with free parking, however I am unsure how parking is in Avignon. Is there free parking somewhere that I could park for the day or is it better to just pay the bus fare to go into the center of town?

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Avignon

There is plenty of parking in Avignon centre ville. Here is a map showing parking lots by number. It also notes if they are free or not, noting the price when not free. It is in French, but pretty easy to follow.

parkopedia.fr/parking/…

Unless you plan to visit in July, parking should be available. If you print out this map and bring it with you, if the first lot you try is full, you will know where to head as a secondary try. The free lots do tend to fill up very early.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,847 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Avignon

I would not recommend your staying in a hotel near the TGV station. The area is remote with no restaurants/cafes except the restaurant in the hotel if there is one.

Staying in Avignon is a much better option as there are ample restaurants, cafes, and other activities. Here is a lost of hotels:

http://www.ot-avignon.fr/hotels/~~~/offres-2-1.html

I particularly like this accommodation in the center of Avignon:

http://www.labanasterie.com/

Consider using this parking lot as it is very central and safe. Costs are under 10 euros per day:

www.palais-des-papes.com/pages/parking.html

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
857 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Avignon

Thanks for the info.

I'm currently booked with Ibis Centre Gare which I still may keep since it is within walking distance of the city center, I just saw that the hotel near tgv had free overnight parking.

Ibis booking was only $102 per night. The only other hotel I saw for that price near the city center was Regina which had bad reviews.

I may just stick with Ibis and pay for overnight parking (around 11 Euros I believe)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
857 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Avignon

Also, I am considering just skipping Les Baux and not worrying about renting a car since we are crunched for time. We only have 2 days (1 day in Avignon and the second day we could take the train to Arles).

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Avignon

If you only have 2 days I would forget the car and concentrate on Avignon and Arles.

Yes you will miss out on driving through the countryside but short car rentals are very expensive in France.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Avignon

One possibility is to stay on Barthelasse Island -- I did that recently. Hotels are cheaper and there's ample free street parking. It's a 15 min walk across the bridge to the walled city.

7. Re: Parking in Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:42