We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

Corona, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

I am planning to take 4 adults and 2 children from Paris to the south of France for 6 days. I am thinking of using Avignon as a home base to explore the region with a rental car and using the TGV from Paris to arrive. I've read other blogs to stay at the Holiday Inn Kryiad near the Avignon TGV station as a home base to avoid parking and driving hassels in town. Day trips I'm interested in is to the Cotes du Rhone Vineyards area, Nimes and Arles.

Is this a reasonable itenerary before heading to Nice for 2 nights and Paris by train?

I also plan on staying in Nice for 2 nights at the end of the trip, returning to Paris via TGV. I would appreciate some suggestions to maximize these 6 days.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

The Holiday Inn Kryiad - convenient for the TGV but not a place I would want to base myself to experience Provence.

I would look for a hotel in the country outside of Avignon - and if going in summer pick one with a pool.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

This hotel has been discussed several times on the forum. Like BB, I would never base myself there. It is in an industrial park area, far from attractive..

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

That would not be my hotel choice to experience Provence. St. Remy is convenient to what you want to see, so I suggest you look there for lodging. Also put the Luberon and the Camargue on the itinerary if possible. Get the Michelin Green Guides for Provence and for French Riviera for driving tours, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

Choose a pretty town in the area, not Avignon or surrounds. You will be amazed at how big the connurbation of Avignon is and how long it takes to navigate past it.

So a lovely small town, big enough for a local market, a nice apartment which will give you space for the family and that is in the town, not a few km away and what a lovely time you will have. This was our last trip

…blogspot.com.au/2011/05/encore-provence-par…

and the second last

…blogspot.com.au/2008/…week-in-provence.html

I have to say that Isle sur la Sorgue was a stunning place to stay, but not all places labelled as that are actually IN the town

This is a good site for rentals though

avignon-et-provence.com/….T2xqqo4gvcs

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

The Avignon area is definitely worthy of at least a few days stay. Whether you want to stay in the city depends on several things, such as a parking space at your accommodation, ages of your children etc.

I would not recommend the hotel you mention for your stay, as mentioned by others. You could find accommodation with a parking space or use the Palais des Papes car park, which is secure; then staying in the city could be a good idea, especially if you want somewhere lively in the evenings if your children are teens+.

Otherwise, I'd also suggest staying in a smaller town or village, where you can park easily, still maybe walk to restaurants, and which has places you can go with your children. There are many in all directions from Avignon, lage and small.

Your interests and those of your children, plus when you'll be travelling might help posters to give more help.

Corona, California
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

Thank you everyone! Your feedback on this post is very valuable! I am clearly convinced to lodge outside of Avignon to truly appreciate the countryside. Our interests are to visit a few wineries, small towns, and enjoy the Provence area. Since I am with 4 adults and 2 children, the itinerary should be relaxed, yet memorable.

I like the Isle sur la Sorgue and St Remy ideas. Any suggestions on B&B's or hotels to stay at? We're arriving in Avignon around 5pm and renting car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

You could look at places on this site which has proved useful to us in the past

avignon-et-provence.com/….T3Qkeo4gvcs

8. Re: Avignon area worthy of 3 nights/4 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:16