We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon Day Tours

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon Day Tours

My wife and I will be in Avignon for a short time from 8th September; we have not been to Provence before. We will not have a car and wish to take several day or half day tours to the surrounding area and Aix en Provence by train when bookings become available. Following earlier advice found on this forum I have had a look at the Official Avignon Tourism site and the tours offered there. Several questions if I may to someone who has perhaps used these tours before or has local knowledge. In terms of transportation are the buses used coaches (50 seats or so) or the smaller mini vans. Secondly, and not knowing the supply/demand equation at that time of the year would it be prudent to book our preferred tours in advance, or arrange bookings when we arrive in Avignon. We have booked accommodation at the Hotel Cloitre Saint Louis which seems to be only a short walk to the tourism office.

Thank you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon Day Tours

You may find that you will want to stay in Avignon itself more than you thought, however as a traveler who visited the city twice without a car I can offer some advice.

I very highly recommend you take the 'Avignon Wine Tour'

avignon-wine-tour.com/English/indexang.html

The tours are in small groups of 6 or individual- I would suggest group- with a gregarious and knowledgeable guide. Book in advance as he fills up quickly.

I also took buses (not far from your hotel) to Vaison La Romain and Orange. This may be slightly trickier depending on how adventurous you are and your command of French and timetables.

You will love your time in Avignon.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon Day Tours

Thank you Anna for your advice.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon Day Tours

I'm not sure how 2 days in Avignon will give you enough time to see Avignon - a delightful city - and do several "day and half day tours", but here are the two we did during our 4-night stay a couple of weeks ago. One day on a 19 minute train ride to Arles. Highly recommended, but it was on a Saturday to also include their wonderful street market. (I think there is also a smaller one on Wed). Another day bus to Pont du Gard (leaves around noon)...then another bus to Nimes...then train back to Avignon that evening. I'd recommend this one even more, and certainly either one much more than a trip to Aix. Good luck in your planning.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon Day Tours

Thank you playaguya for your suggestions. Perhaps you misunderstood my post, but we have 5 full days on Avignon (6 nights) and while that is far from long enough to see much of Provence, we will fit in what we can.

nyc
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon Day Tours

we will be in provence from April 22 thru April 25, 2013. Looking to see Nimes, Arles, the Camargue, Marseille and Aix. Are we being too ambitious for the time we are there? Not interested in the wine tours but are interested in fine food. Any and all recommendations will be most welcomed. Also do you think we should base ourselves in one town or move.

Many thanks.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon Day Tours

we arrive in Avignon by TGV from CDG around noon after traveling 24 hrs. Any suggestions as to how to spend the afternoon touring while we try not to fall asleep?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon Day Tours

Take the bus into town and walk to the Pope's Palace and have a coffee in the square After 24 hours that may be all you can handle.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon Day Tours

thanks

maybe two coffees

Provence
Level Contributor
809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon Day Tours

To goodcookie.

You are indeed a bit ambitious.....

If you're staying only 3 days in avignon, I would do

- Pont du gard and Uzes on one day

- St Remy & arles on the second

- luberon on the third.

this way you can get a fair visit of what Provence has to offer.

nyc
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avignon Day Tours

We are hoping to hire a car and driver to enable us to see as much as we

can. Arles is definitely on our list and I think Luberon includes the Camargue.

We really want to get to Aix. Lyon was another place we wanted to see.

With a driver, do you still think we are trying to see too much?

Also, can you recommend a GREAT restaurant in Avignon?

Thank you so much for your feedback.