We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving & parking for Day visit in July

Redlands, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving & parking for Day visit in July

As we are unable to stay in Avignon due to the festival crowds, we are planning a day trip while driving from Arles to Vaison la Romaine. Any suggestions about approach and parking to make our visit as easy as possible? We want to visit the usual historical sights in the city center.

Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
227 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving & parking for Day visit in July

Drive along the river Rhone to the underground parking beneath the Pope's Palace. Take the lift up to the central square and you are right in the center of town in front of the Palace and very close to the famous bridge.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving & parking for Day visit in July

If you are visiting Avignon when the Festival is going on, the parking lot under the Pope's Palace will likely be full. I have never managed to park in that lot during Festival, no matter what time I arrived.

There are several large lots within 1/4 mile (or less) of that lot. One is underground, two are not. You MAY find a spot in one of them. The two that are not underground have shuttles that take you from the lot to the city.

Here is a link to all the parking in Avignon:

http://www.avignon.fr/fr/plans/parking.php

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving & parking for Day visit in July

I have managed to park in the Palais du Papes car park during the festival - it is not an experience I am going to repeat - avoid it and take one of the parks that have a shuttle to the city.

4. Re: Driving & parking for Day visit in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:16