We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Baux Provence

MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Les Baux Provence

I am wondering if anyone can give me any "must-see's" in Les Baux, Provence. Also, if it were a choice of Aix or Les Baux, which would it be?

Thank you.

Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
219 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Baux Provence

Aix, no question. Les Baux is a tourist trap unless you go late in the evening when the shops are closed and everything is quiet. One location worth visiting in Les Baux though is the Carrières de Lumières, the old quarry where an impressive projection of the life and work of Gauguin and Van Gogh is shown this year. More info: http://carrieres-lumieres.com/fr/home

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Baux Provence

Comparing apples and oranges; Les Baux is an interesting little village b/c of its stunning topography and history; Aix is a large town with lots to do and see.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Baux Provence

Les Baux de Provence is not just an interesting little village--the best part lies up at the top, where you can see the ruins of what was once a large château. Many people think that there's only the village to see and so miss the realy splendid ruins with a view.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Baux Provence

+1 for Aix. On our recent trip we spent 3 nights in Aix (really enjoyed ourselves wandering around) and 2 nights in Les Baux as part of our Provence trip. If I was to do the trip again, I would not stay in Les Baux. I'd go in the morning to get parking (I don't know if parking is a problem in the summer) and spend a half a day or so there.

L4

MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Baux Provence

Thank you. Aix it shall be.

The next question:

If I only have two to three hours in Aix, what would you suggest I absolutely not miss?

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Baux Provence

Indeed aix and Les Baux have nothing in common.

Aix is great and busy, good for shopping and fun, nightmare for driving etc It's a rather big city to our french standard.

We call Les Baux as "the deserted village" since hardly noone lives in the village. It's crowded during the day and empty in the evening (best time to visit providing you don't want to visit the chateau)

But it is absolutely gorgeous and makes you feel like you're travelling in time (feel you won't get as much in Aix to my taste).

And Les Baux is in the alpilles where you'll find millions of things to do (st remy, arles, all the pitoresque village, avignon at 25k...)

MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Les Baux Provence

I will be arriving Marseilles by cruise ship therefore; my time will be limited in either situation.

In Aix, I will have 3 hours to explore, if my calculations are correct for travel time (approximately 1/2 hour each way from ship to Aix). The tour guide will bring all of us to Cours Mirabeau. From there, I will have some free time to explore.

For Le Baux, the entire excursion is 4.5 hours. When I mapped out the trip from the Marseilles cruise ship terminal, I see the drive to Les Baux is approximately 1 hour, 10 mins. So apparently, my free time to explore Les Baux is approximately two hours.

I would like to see sights; see how people currently live, in either place, and get a taste of what today's culture as well as yester-year's culture, is in either location. This is my dilemma.

Someday, I would like to return with a land tour so I may spend more time. This trip, my excursions will have to be a "sampling". Therefore; I am leaning towards Aix because of the shorter length of time on a bus.

Phidou, can you tell me what the more interesting sights would be in Aix? Is Cezanne's studio interesting to see? I was hoping to visit it, if it is easy to get to from the Cours Mirabeau.

On the other hand, in Les Baux, I thought I might be interested in seeing Cathedral d'Images.

May I have your opinions?

Thank you.

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Les Baux Provence

Tough question...

If I were you, I think I would do Aix. You'll be able to sample a bit of our provencal life and experience more than by doing les Baux. Aix is a big city (to our standard) about 140 000 inhabitants. Shopping is great and sightseeing is cool. I would skip the ateliers which is nice but out of the city and not really easy to get to (especially not by walking). If I were you, I would just wander through the city and possibly visit the granet museum (paintings from Cezanne, Ingre) etc.

The Aix tourist office site will provide you with many info and you can download the maps.

http://en.aixenprovencetourism.com/

Hope this will help and suggest you come back in order to visit Les baux and its region in order to experience the "provencal village life..."

Best

Philippe

9. Re: Les Baux Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:17