We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

I'll be staying 3 nights with my girlfriend somewhere in this region, and we're trying to figure out where between Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy to be "based." Of the three, I would also like to add Roussillon to the itinerary before heading back to Paris. The below is the itinerary I have come up with for the trip in total. Any suggestions or recommendations would be fabulous. (Also, well be there in mid-August).

Day 1: Nice

Day 2: Travel to Monte Carlo and Eze; stay in Nice

Day 3: Travel to Cannes; explore Cannes for the day, sleep there

Day 4: Marseille; explore the city and stay there for the night

Day 5: Travel to St. Remy/Arles/Avignon/Roussillon

Day 6: Explore St. Remy/Arles/Avignon/Roussillon

Day 7: Explore St. Remy/Arles/Avignon/Roussillon

Day 8: Explore St. Remy/Arles/Avignon/Roussillon

Also, we'd like to have a day of just relaxing somewhere peaceful. Based on my above route, where would be the best place to do this?

Thanks so much!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

You will need a rental car for days 5 to 8. I would choose St-Remy-de-Provence as a base: it is small enough that parking is not a major problem or expense. Arles and Avignon are significantly larger.

An alternative, possibly better located for the places you want to visit, would be L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.

For a relaxing time, choose a market day in one of the towns and just wander around.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

I agree with Grainnew, staying in St. Remy is great in order to visit Arles, Nimes, Les Baux and Avignon. St. Remy is a really nice place and worth visiting. Gordes, Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue and perhaps Bonnieux are worth a trip too.

You will need a rental car for days 5 to 8. Also you should hurry finding an accomodation as mid-August is very busy.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

I would stay in St Remy too. I've stayed there several times and used buses to get about as I can't drive. It's easy to get a bus from St Remy to Arles or Avignon by bus, you don't need a car. See route 54 and 57 on this link www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/…

However if you want to go to Roussillon, you will need a car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

Thanks so much for all of this help. I guess St. Remy it is! I'll also add Les Baux to the itinerary somewhere.

I hadn't considered Nimes. I don't think we'll have time for both Nimes and Marseille; if we had to get rid of one, between Nimes and Marseille, which should it be? I imagine they're both great...

Gard, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

I'd definitely go for Nimes. If you're interested in Roman history, there's the splendid Roman arena, which is still used today for bull fights, concerts etc. Also the beautiful Roman Maison Carrée, which used to be part of an enormous complex.

If you do have time to visit Nimes, do try to visit the amazing Pont du Gard - the most famous part of the aqueduct the Romans built to take water from Uzès to Nimes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

I stayed in Uzes for 6 days as a base for area. Great place

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

Uzes is smaller than other suggested places, so much more relaxing.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

I also like the Camargue, especially Aigues Mortes. Worth a stop if you have a car.

I've stayed in both St. Remy and Uzes, either would be a good choice. I'd skip Marseilles - though I will admit I've never been.

Provence
Level Contributor
812 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

St remy would be your best choice.

On one day I would do Les Baux and Arles (20mn drive) and camargue (time allowing...)

Day 2 Luberon with Menerbes, Bonnieux, Roussillon, Gordes, Abbaye de Senanque and Isle sur la Sorgue

Day 3 Avignon and upper avignon (beaume de venise, Gigondas, Seguret, Chateauneuf du Pape)

St Remy is located just in the middle...

If you need more info about st remy, dont hesitate.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avignon, Arles, or St. Remy?

We are also travelling in that area in September and staying in Avignon for one night, and the next night in Uzes.

We are thinking of travelling to Arles, Nimes and the Pont du Gard on the way to Uzes, but can't find out how to get to St Remy.

Hopefully someone can help us and tell us the order to go in to put St Remy into the itinerary as well.