We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon or Marseille to Aix

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon or Marseille to Aix

Hi,

We're staying in both Avignon and Marseille and would like to visit Aix en Provence. We came up with the below 2 routes which we wanted to check would be the fastest way there and back (without a car).

From Avignon:

- Shuttle from Gare d'Avignon-Centre to Avignon TGV (runs every 15-20 mins and takes around 10 mins)

- TGV from Avignon to Aix en Provence TGV (~25 mins)

- Shuttle from Aix en Provence TGV to the city centre (15mins)

From Marseille:

- TGV from Marseille St Charles to Aix en Provence TGV (~15 mins)

- Shuttle from Aix en Provence TGV to the city centre (15mins)

Are we on the right track? Any other alternatives like buses that someone can advise?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon or Marseille to Aix

If you are staying in Marseille the easiest way to get to Aix - and you don't have to book in advance - is to take the TER (local) train direct to Aix centre station rather than the TGV train to Aix TGV station plus shuttle. See timetable below:

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH12-Marse…

There is a direct bus from Avignon to Aix, see

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp…

Generally speaking, the TGV trains are good for long distances but because many of the stations are outside the towns they serve, for short journeys, it's better to use buses and local trains.

Provence
Level Contributor
809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon or Marseille to Aix

I would recommend you do Aix from Marseille. The direct bus line is frequent and so is the local train as a lot of people are comutting from Aix Marseille.

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon or Marseille to Aix

Ditto what Phidou stated...

We have done that trip from Avignon and Marseille and hes exactly correct that its an easy commuter train from Marseille.

That said, I personally find Aix to be pretty underwhelming after Avignon and Marseille. Too many cruise ship tourists for my taste. No slight intended to cruise patrons, I just prefer to be in the deeper end of the travel pool =)

Have a great time!

Mark

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon or Marseille to Aix

Thanks all for the info!

5. Re: Avignon or Marseille to Aix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 10:17