We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
"101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

I'm looking at the August 13 issue of Newsweek Magazine, and the Marche des Halles made the list. We found a lot of tasty picnic fare inside, as did the chef who chose it....Definitely a "must do" for us during our Avignon stay.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Is this a copy of the article? or is it the Daily Beast's own list? I can't quite tell.

thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/08/05/101-be…

I've been to les halles when it was great and when it was not. Guess it really depends what time of year you visit and what your expectations are.

http://www.avignon-leshalles.com/

Edited: 18 September 2012, 18:32
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

That is indeed the article. Good job in finding it! I'm sure others will appreciate.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

And I guess I'll add - We must have been there at a good time because there was much more we'd have liked to sample...but we hit our limit!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Glad you liked it. I like it too, but have been when it was less than stellar, few stalls set up and running, produce not looking so good, etc.. So, not sure if I would have ranked it as one of the world's best places to eat.

Just my opinion, which counts for very little :-)

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Well that's hardly the case since you're a local. But like us, the contributing chef must have been there on a good day. The stalls were occupied, the produce was fresh, and all the foods we tried were delicious. Good timing might rank right up there with good luck.

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Personally I agree with the article. For over a month, Les Halles was my daily stop for dinner inspirations. The quality and variety of the product sold on the worst days(not that I ever saw a "bad day" in that month) were the absolute best I have ever seen. I really dislike going to my local market now, its quite depressing...

As a retired chef, Les Halles was, and is, an inspirational place that made me fall deeply in love with Avignon.

Mark

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Summer months do tend to be nice, though I still like the major outdoor markets more, such as Vaison and Bédoin. Try Les Halles outside of high season..

Edited: 19 September 2012, 15:03
Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Perhaps this is all a commentary more on the markets in the US, than Les Halles!

We have been there in November, March and April and its light years ahead of what I can buy here at any point in the seasons.

Not arguing with you at all Toutou, just still amazed that the difference in quality...

Mark

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

No, not arguing your point either. I have been when it was nice and I do recommend people go and see for themselves. Just thought ranking it as one of the best places in the world to eat was a bit of a stretch.

I'm a little surprised you found it impressive in March, but I'm glad you did.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "101 Best Places to Eat in the World"

Yes, we were there in April. I do think M-U made a good point about Les Halles vs. the typical US market...