We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market comparison? Opinions, please!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Market comparison? Opinions, please!

I know that everyone has differing opinions(the reason I love TA) so please weigh in.

We have one weekend (October) in Avignon with car.

Must see: Pont du Gard, pretty drives, a market for pleasure and probably some purchase of linens, not heavy duty shopping.

Decisions-

Arrive Friday afternoon, explore Avignon

Saturday: market at Uzes, then Pont du Gard?

Sunday: market Isle le Sorgue(hesitation, sounds awfully big, how many antique shops do we browse before exhausted? Lost of mixed opinions here!) then what on Sunday?

Monday; market in another town that has been mentioned here-starts with a B(can't search or I will lose this post!) then visit in that area before evening train to Paris.

I have also read that there is Saturday market in Avignon and also daily market, but not many opinions. Any food we would buy would have to be consumed in picnic, unless there are recommended gifts that can be packed.

Some might depend on best day to visit Pont du Gard since we would like several hours to see museum.

Thanks! I hope to get lots of opinions!

Gard, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,834 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market comparison? Opinions, please!

Saturday sounds just fine with the large Uzès market in the morning; a fairly early start, maybe an early lunch at Uzès, then the Pont du Gard, which should give a good amount of time for viewing it from below and above, plus the museum.

Isle sur la Sorgue market on Sundays is very popular; it's a normal market plus antiques for sale, so you shouldn't get antiqued out.

The market hall in Avignon is pretty good; 40 stalls selling local and regional food and wine is open Monday to Saturday at the main market, Les Halles d'Avignon in Place Pie. There are colourful outdoor markets at the Rempart St Michel (a food market on Saturday and Sunday) and place des Carmes (a flower market on Saturday and flea market on Sunday).

Local specialities include olive oil, lavender, brightly printed fabrics, sugared fruits,as well as lovely jams. Maybe wines or the mustard yellow and olive green Provençal pottery, or lavender gifts from the lavender shop in Avignon.

You could buy picnic food at Avignon market hall or in Uzès, and there are a number of items you could buy as gifts in the shop at the Pont du Gard or in Uzès.

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market comparison? Opinions, please!

I think Sat is a nice plan for Uzes and Pont du Gard (dont forget to stop in Castillon du Gard for a short walk on your way).

Sunday in isle sur la Sorgue is great. The market is huge and take over the village basically, not to mention the proper antique scattered in the village. But I would certainly not miss it.

As a Sunday alternative you can go to the producers' market in Coustellet but that's mostly food.

On Monday, you were certainly recommended Bedoin which is another of my favorite, tucked away at the bottom of Mont Ventoux. love the region and villages like Crillon le Brave (nothing to do but just cute) or Mazan and much more (not far from wine country neither).

So I guess you're settled

3. Re: Market comparison? Opinions, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 05:17