We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

New Zealand
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

I just booked tickets for my family (182 Euros) via …voyages-sncf.com/en/e-ticket

When payment was confirmed I am told they will MAIL me the tickets!! But I am leaving in 36 hours to fly to Europe!! This is outrageous! The site says (I checked before booking) that I will get an email allowing me to print my own ticket. Once payment is made they tell me "thank you for choosing to receive your tickets by mail"!

I did no such thing!!!

I have emailed SNCF but of course it is Sunday morning there so I won't get a reply till Monday their time which is Tuesday our time, which is when I leave.

From their website (the page portal I used to buy) "Book, print and depart: make use of the E-ticket service and print your ticket when, where and as often as you want. Train travel has never been easier!"

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

"Print your own tickets" are available only for certain fares, discounted, non-refundable, etc. You have to buy these well in advance as there are limited seats at discounted rates. I'm not sure what your remedy is, if you can contact them, perhaps to cancel the mailed tickets and rebook to pick up tickets at the station in France...?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

Yes, but it's not so clear on the site - especially for first time users. Adding a booking portal that accepts non e-ticket fares to your page about e-tickets is not the smartest thing for a rail company to do perhaps?

I shall give them until Monday, but then I will ask my credit card company to reverse the charge. Which they may not do.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

I would contact you credit card company A.S.A.P., can't hurt to do that.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

<Once payment is made they tell me "thank you for choosing to receive your tickets by mail"! ... I did no such thing>

Are you sure you are not misunderstanding what they mean ?

SNCF website in English that you linked to …voyages-sncf.com/en/e-ticket says: "What to take when travelling ... When boarding just simply present: The E-ticket you received BY MAIL and printed in advance ... " (they obviously mean: "by e-mail" so perhaps they also mean that in the "thank you for ... " phrase I quoted above).

Are you absolutely certain that you have not received the tickets by e-mail as described on the website ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,035 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

Look in your spam folder, just in case.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

No, there is nothing in the spam folder.

I do not understand why, in 2013, a rail company would offer an online booking service but insist on then mailing the tickets? It is astounding.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 15:46
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

They don't insist on mailing the tickets, you can collect them from a machine or ticket counter or SNCF boutique but you have opted for having them mailed to you .

Log in and see if you can change the ticket options to pick up from the station.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,978 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

I do not remember under what circumstances, but I called once to clarify something or other re my tickets. So, why don't you try calling and see whether they would instruct you to do something specific? At the very least, print the receipt screen as your proof.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

As far as I know, if you're in New Zealand they won't mail you the tickets - that only works if you're in France.

Even if they DO mail yo8u the tickets you should have an email from them confirmimg that. Are you saying you have no emails at all from them?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A word of WARNING when using the SNCF booking site

See COLIN's post # 4.

They will not, ever, snail-mail tickets to New Zealand, so you have misunderstood.

You have to proactively choose to have tickets mailed to you, and only if you have a French address, so unless you did that, they're not snail-mailing tickets to you.

You should have an email confirmation and/or link to where the tickets can be printed out (if you bought tickets that are printable).

Call them. You don't have to wait until tomorrow. It's a train company - open every day.