We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyon Airport to Avignon

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lyon Airport to Avignon

Can you please advise how do I get from the International Airport at Lyon to Avignon by public transport? Train or bus is better?

Then after having a week in Avignon I need to get to Paris - No 3 District. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,977 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

There are almost no long-distance buses in France. You would take a train from Lyon St Exupery station (at the airport) to Avignon, and then later a train from Avignon to Gare de Lyon in Paris.

For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic at the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which may not list all the trains.

If you have trouble with voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which links directly to the SNCF ticketing system.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

Connections from Lyon St Exupery airport station to Avignon Centre station are the best way, but are infrequent. If you have just missed one, it could sometimes be faster to take the tram http://www.rhonexpress.fr/ to Lyon Part Dieu station from where there are more frequent direct trains to both Avignon Centre and Avignon TGV stations.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

Thank you both for your advice. I shall look into those websites. I guess it wouldn't make it any easier to get to Avignon if I flew into Nice, would it??

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,797 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

No, it wouldn't. The journey from Nice would take nearly three times as long as the direct trains from Lyon airport to Avignon Centre, requiring a bus to Nice Ville station, a train journey of over three hours, then a shuttle bus from Avignon TGV station.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,977 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

At least there is a train station at Lyon airport, with some trains direct to Avignon. In Nice, you would have to take a bus to the train station.

Marseille could be convenient. It has a train station at the airport and is close to Avignon.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 00:36
Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

It would take much more time.

The rail track between Lyon and Avignon is a fast one ,whereas there is no fast track between Nice and Marseille , yet.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

Thanks everyone, have the info I needed. So I'll fly to Lyon and then train it to Avignon and train to Paris from there.

8. Re: Lyon Airport to Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:18