We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

We are planning on coming from the East Coast (we are philly-based but frequently fly out of JFK or EWR to travel) to Avignon may 27- June 3 with my parents. I'm having difficulty finding updated info on the forums regarding the cheapest way to get there. We'll be renting a car once in Avignon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,031 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

It's usually cheapest to fly to Paris and then take the TGV to Avignon. Alternatively, you could fly to Marseilles, but any time I've checked, it's been more expensive.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

Racegirl has got it.....

Book your TGV tickets as soon as they come available.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

Ok. What's the best way to book those tix? How much lag time should I allow Btwn arriving from our U.S. flight and getting the TGV to Avignon?

Also...is car rental available directly at the Avignon train station when we arrive there from paris?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

You can book your TGV tickets online 90 days in advance. Car rental is at the TGV station. Book your car rental with www.autoeurope.com. Call them. They are terrific to deal with.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope USA, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

If you have trouble with voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which has the same prices.

Allow at least 3 hours between scheduled flight arrival and train departure. If you buy a discounted ticket and miss the train, the ticket is worthless.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

Great info! If for some reason we are able to get cheaper airfare to either Nice or Marseilles, is there a TGV station at either of those places, that is easy to access?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

There are train stations in both Nice and Marseilles.

In Nice, you would take a bus to the train station and then a TGV. In Marseilles, there are local trains from the airport to Avignon.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

Ok. great. Let me use all this info and get some more research underway! Thanks, guys; your help much appreciated! Bear with me...may be posting more questions in the future :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

Here's a funny thing though... the train from Nice to Avignon cannot travel at TGV speeds so it takes about 3.5 hours. Same as the time from Paris.

There are some TGVs direct from CDG airport. Otherwise you need a taxi (best bang for the buck with 4 people) to Gare de Lyon for your departure.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to reach avignon from U.S.?

Oh, shoot! So likely we'll need to leave the airport to travel to the Paris TGV station? How far is it? I really hope we can just get a TGV direct from CDG.