We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Hello All,

My first trip to France this summer. 5 days in Paris, 5 in Provence and 5 in Nice. Hubby and I will have a car for the Provence part of our journey, so we thought Avignon makes more sense then St Remy, appears to be more central, although I am not yet certain of where I will go... Any hotel recommendations in Avignon? I want something where parking and leaving the city won't be a problem, but that is still close enough to the city that I could walk to the market etc. Thank you for your help! Budget? I would like to spend less then $300 a night.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Avignon is a walled city.

And I find it a real pain to drive in and out of.

You might want to think about some place smaller that has a more Provencal feel to it.

I would give St Remy a miss as well....it's very touristy and is "underwhelming."

Maybe somewher in the Luberon or L'Isle sur la Sorgue.

Uzes is lovely as well.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

I've never managed to find any place in Avignon that was easy to get in and out of with a car. And while I understand why people are drawn to St-Rémy, I agree with datthecoast that it is so full of tourists these days I find myself wanting to leave immediately. It's also not that easy to get in and out of in summer. If you want a small but appealing village in that neck of the woods, you might check out Maussane-les-Alpilles...and yes, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue or somewhere in the Lubéron.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,017 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Avignon parking is very easy if you use the pay lot under the courtyard in front of the Palais des Papes.

Its entrance is on the exterior side of the city wall near the river:

avignon-pont.com/fr/content/votre-stationnem…

When you enter this lot, proceed to the far side and to the highest available parking level. You can walk up a short ramp and walk to the Place de l´Horloge in just minutes.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Regardless of whether Avignon is the best place for you to stay, it is very easy to park within the walls. We stayed at L'Ombre du Palais B&B in July a couple of years back. It is within the walls, but simple to park under the Palais du Papes. We entered through the walls at P Palais du Papes entry (also sign Hotel Mercure), directly into the parking building, then followed our instructions to level P0, parked in 075, walked through the pedestrian exit to our accommodation 10 metres away.

As datthecoast has said, Uzes is another good option. Hostellerie Provencale offers good accommodation within the center. You can park outside to unload, then drive about 300 metres to a private covered garage.

http://www.alombredupalais.com/

http://www.hostellerieprovencale.com/en/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Thanks, that is good advice. I am also looking at Arles, but will check out what you have suggested! : )

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to check out these ideas!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Arles ia another walled city with some very narrow streets in the old historic part of the city. But it is quite a bit smaller than Avignon....

And there are several easy to access parking lots.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

I stayed at the Mercure right above the parking lot mentioned by Sarastro. It was very convenient to get in/out.

I also stayed at Arles with hotel parking (though cannot remember where I actually stayed).

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

Hotel Colbert is very close to the (paid) carpark at the trainstation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel in Avignon in August with Rental Car

I am now keen on Isle sur la Sorgue. Arriving on Monday, and staying for 5 days, I will miss the Sunday market. There is a place called Un Coin De Luberon. It is right in town, which won't offer the same experience as a farmhouse, will be nice because I can explore the town when I have time between daytrips, without needing a car. There is a small kitchenette, so I can make use of the bounty I find at markets, and can prepare a light simple breakfast etc.. I have food allergies, so I will appreciate this convenience greatly! Thank you for the help!

One more question. I will be taking the train from Paris to Avignon, in the morning, and picking up my rental car there. Should I tour Avignon and maybe Arles on that same day, with luggage etc in my car, or should I head for the hotel first, drop off my bags in Isle Sur La Sorgue? And just explore the town and maybe a few smaller villages in the vicinity?