We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
390 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

I picked Avignon as the place to ask my question, but it does not have to be here. We fly into Barcelona on a Friday morning and will be picking up a car. We have to be back in Barcelona by Monday afternoon. We wanted to do a weekend stay somewhere in the South of France for that weekend but didn't want to drive more than 5 hours maximum since we don't have too much time.

The Barceleona forum keeps giving me Spain suggestions, but I would really like to venture into France for this weekend. I would love to find a quaint city or a seaside location. Can someone give me some insight? Thank you so much!

It will be me, my husband and 2 children, ages 16 and 21.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

One of the closest pretty seaside towns across the Spain/France border is Collioure. And if you don't mind the drive, you can make it over to western Provence within your time frame.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

I came back from a trip to Avignone yesterday, Spent two night there, Monday and Wednesday and even though the Papal Palace was nice the city itself looked dead. Seriously, not a single person to be seen in the narrow streets, it was almost unsettling. Go there for 2-3 hours, take picture at the Palace, have a coffee at the Place de l'Horloge but dont stay there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
390 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

Thank you for the info--I'll check out Collioure--and I'll make Avignore a stop, not a stay.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

Collioure is good place to stop. You might like Narbonne as well.

BTW.....Avignon has a population of 95,000 residents. Hardly a ghost town.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

I'll second the suggestion of Collioure with a stop to see Peyrepertuse: http://www.chateau-peyrepertuse.com/

If you want to drive further then I would suggest Uzes instead of Avignon. And perhaps a visit to Aigues Mortes in the Camargue.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

Yes, Uzes is a delight well worth a visit.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

Uzes is a good idea. And I'll take Arles over Avignon any time - for a great mix from Roman antiquities, mediaeval churches, the spooky Alyscamps and of course ......van Gogh.

Dalaik - 'not a single person to be seen...' Good complaint!!. Most people on this Forum here complain about too many tourists.

Ed

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

I wasnt implying that there was noone living in Avignone, but the night life as I saw it in those 2 days was non existent. Probably because it was March, a monday and a wednesday and relatively cold.

I ll second Arles though. I liked it a lot more, and it was way more lively and pictoresque.

9. Re: Looking for a weekend trip from Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:18