We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon to Marseille by Train

Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon to Marseille by Train

We will be dropping off a hire car at Avignon TGV. From there we want to go to Marseille by train. It seems from what I have read that the TGV does not go from Avignon TGV station to Marseille? Is it only the slower train (about 2.5 hours or so for the trip), that leaves from the TGV station at Avignon? I gather the TGV faster train leaves from another station, which is further out of town. How would we get there if we wanted to take that train?

I would be interested in peoples' views as to which would be our better option. We will arrive at Avignon around 10am, want to get to Marseille to stay for that day and the night only, before heading elsewhere. I tend to think if we caught the slower train at 10am, we wouldn't arrive in Marseille at our hotel till 1pm roughly, which doesn't give us much time to have a look at Marseille. . Either way, do we need to pre-book train tickets? All suggestions would be most helpful

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

Most TGV services leave from the TGV station, as you would expect. Refer to www.capitainetrain.com for accurate information on French trains.

For the best prices, book soon after tickets go on sale, 3 months before travel.

Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

Thanks Nick

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

Can you drop the car off at Marseille airport and then take the shuttle bus from there into Marseille?

Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

Thanks for your reply. We are staying in Marseille (Old Port area) for the night and will head to the airport the following morning, so it seems a bit pointless going to the airport, going back to Marseille to stay the night, then back to the airport the next morning.

I think it may be easier to take the car back to Avignon TVG station and catch the train to Marseille, rather than driving to Marseille, not knowing where we are and not knowing where the car dropoff point is.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

To answer points in your first post; you have been misinformed. The fast trains are TGV trains and leave from Avignon TGV station. Dropping off a hire car there is straightforward and the train takes about half an hour to get to Marseille St Charles. I believe you have confused Avignon TGV (the one slightly out of town that has the fast trains) with Avignon Centre in the middle of town with generally slower trains.

Depending on where you are coming from, you may find that dropping off your hire car at Marseille Airport is considerably more convenient. If you need to come off the motorway to get to Avignon TGV, for example, you will need a good half hour to get there and in that half hour you would have covered half the distance to Marseille Airport, so it's worth checking out, as boucheboy recommends. The car drop off point at the airport is at least as well signposted as at Avignon TGV.

The shuttle from Marseille airport into the city is frequent, cheap and fast. If you look at a map, you will see that you are not doubling back on yourself to get into Marseille, the airport is on the way from Avignon to Marseille.

Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

Great info. Thanks Moth.

7. Re: Avignon to Marseille by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:16