We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden costs: Car rental

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hidden costs: Car rental

Hello everyone, i am a recent TA newcomer and im currently in the process of planning a trip from Split Croatia to Budapest Hungary with my sister and cousins and was thinking about doing a road trip and renting a car. I have used Auto Europe as well as many other searches and Auto Europe is by far the best deal i have seen. I also have read a lot of reviews about Auto Europe and am very impressed. My question is, does anyone have any experience with renting a car with different pick up and drop off locations as far as hidden costs, fees, etc. I am really excited about the deal that I have found but a little nervous im being too trusting. If anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

If your intention is to pick up and drop off in different places within a single country, AutoEurope should be able to arrange that for you with no extra fee. If you want to pick up in country X and drop off in country Y, there is always going to be a huge extra fee, no matter which company or broker you rent from.

I've rented about 150 cars through AutoEurope over the years and have never encountered a "hidden fee" of any kind.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,813 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

There's normally a huge free if you rent a car in one country and drop off in another. I would suggest asking AutoEurope to answer any specific questions.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

Only Hertz France charges drop-off charges if one rents and returns at different locations within France. It is not a huge fee (we paid 40 Euro for picking up in Nice and dropping off in Strasbourg) but it may be less or more depending on where one picks up and drops off. Otherwise, there are road fees and taxes, which one also settles on the spot, not via AutoEurope. These are not hidden - taxes are taxes.

I have not rented in one country and dropped off in another, but I understand drop off fees are significant. Do inquire.

Do not worry about being trusting with AutoEurope. It is a very respetable and professional outfit.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,813 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

I'm not quite sure why you chose to post your question on the Avignon, France forum for a car rental originating in Croatia. You might try posting on the Croatia forum for better answers about car rental in that country.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

No i know! i have no idea how i wound up in the Avignon forum. I quickly noticed it though just after posting it and re-posted in the croatia forum.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

Also thank you all for all your suggestions and information. I definitely feel a lot better about the company and process and now ill just have to find out exactly what kind of different country drop off fee I will be looking at. Again thank you all, safe travels!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

It is sometimes easier to rent twice, changing at a border, or to do some travel by train and then car hire. For example we were in Brussels and took the train to Lille to pick up the hire car for travelling in France.

Or think of planning a round trip at least to return to the country of origin if that is at all a possibility.

Note there are some restrictions on taking hire cars INTO Croatia.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

We rented with Auto Europe (Dollar) car rental in Orlando Florida in April .we were quoted 220$ and got charged 250$ extra in hidden fees by Dollar car rental !! what a scam ! and Auto Europe did not help us at all and blame on us and Dollar. We were ask to sign waiver by Dollar rental employee (as we got Gold Visa rental ) but actually we signed on computer screen and they used that signature to sell us insurance we did not need or asked for !!

Now we going to France this week but no more Auto Europe !

Edited: 13 July 2014, 07:16
9. Re: Hidden costs: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:17