We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Paris

Boston...
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
After Paris

My husband and I , retired schoolteachers, will spend two weeks in Paris in April. Then on May 1st, we will head to Provence for two weeks.

1. Please list the important places to visit.

2. Do you know inexpensive hotels, B and B's etc.?

3. Can we take the train or will we need to rent a car?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Paris

1. I think for starters you should go to your preferred bookstore and look at the selection of guidebooks covering Provence and the Côte d'Azur. Then when you have purchased and perused one or two and have some idea of all the many wonderful places there are to visit you could narrow down your question to something that we can begin to provide useful answers to — without simply writing another guidebook. I would recommend the DK Eyewitness Guide as it is well researched and profusely illustrated, but there are many others that might suit you better. The "important places to visit" depend on you and your personal preferences and interests.

2. There are far too many "inexpensive hotels, B and B's etc." for anyone to give you useful advice until you have done some basic research and decided what areas you want to visit. Since you have two weeks I would suggest you use at least two bases for exploring different areas, perhaps three if you want to include the Côte d'Azur.

3. You can easily get to Provence from Paris by train in about three hours. Once there, however, you really need a car unless you are going to confine your visit to the larger towns — Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Avignon, Marseille etc., and the towns along the coast from St. Raphael to Menton. Much of the beauty and interest of Provence is to be found in the scenery away from the population centers, in the villages of the Drôme Provençale and the Lubéron, in the hidden mysteries of the Camargue, and in the back roads of places like the Alpilles and the hinterlands of the Riviera's over-developed coastline.

May is a wonderful time to visit and you have plenty of time to do some research and get really worthwhile answers once you have enough knowledge to begin to ask more specific questions.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
2. Re: After Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 21:20