We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Provence/cote d'azur in Sept

Dublin
11 posts
Save Topic
Touring Provence/cote d'azur in Sept

I will be at a wedding in Bordeaux in early September and am planning my summer holidays around france afterwards.

Roughly my plan is after the wedding spend a day in Bordeaux city itself and then take a flight to Marseille maybe as trains take almost 10 hours to the caost it appears.

After a day in Marseille maybe head inland to Avignon to base myself there for about 4 days and tour around the local villages.

After that make my way to Nice and base there for another 4/5 days taking in the coast as far as St Tropez, Antibes and Cannes etc.

THen the idea is to finish off in Italy, Milan - Lakes - Venice and then home!

I plan on doing most of this without a car but can hire one a stages if neccessay.

Does anybody have any useful information or must sees along the way. I am covering such a large area focussing on area is proving difficult.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks a million

Brian

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Provence/cote d'azur in Sept

Sounds like a good trip!

For your stay in Nice, you'll have plenty to visit along the coast heading north from Nice: Beaulieu, Villefrance, possibly Monaco, Cap Marting, Menton. All of these area easily accessible by bus or train from Nice.

I would see Antibes, also easy to get to by train or bus from Nice and Biot and/or Valbonne. Then another day for Cannes and the islands of Lérins just off the coast.

In September, perched villages of St Paul de Vence should be slightly less crowded as would be Eze. I enjoy Vence as well.

St Tropez will be busy between September 27 - October 4, 2008 with yacht races of Les Voiles de St Tropez. If you love sailboats, it would be worth the trip. You can get there by train to Cannes or St Raphael, then boat.

Leave some time to just stroll in the streets and promenade in Nice to relax and soak in the atmosphere.

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Provence/cote d'azur in Sept

It sounds like a massive trip to me in under a month.

Personally I would leave the Italian part of the trip for another time.

I would also seriously think about doing it as a road trip rather than hanging about in airports and train/bus stations and certainly the area around Avignon is best seen with a car.

I would hire a car in Bordeaux and use the autoroute to Carcassonne - about 300km. Have a look around there and read up on Cathar history before I went.

From there to somewhere near Avignon - the Alpilles or the Luberon. I could spend the rest of the holiday here but that is a personal choice.

After that area I would head to Cannes rather than Nice only because I think it more compact with better beaches.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Provence/cote d'azur in Sept

Hi Brian -

I am in total agreement with boucheboy, including his suggestion that you do it as a road trip by heading south via the Autoroute toward Carcasonne and then spend the rest of your time in Western Provence. If you check out a good map you will see that distances in Provence are relatively close, so you may even want to consider settling down in just one or two places during your stay - you should look into the possibility of a gite.

September is an absolutely fabulous time to visit Provence - fabulous weather, wonderful food, and the hoardes of summer tourists will have returned home as of the end of August, you may even get to see the "vendange" the grape harvest as you travel around. Furthermore, if you decide that you want to "do the beach thing" for a couple of days you can always head down into the Camargue.

I really think that you should leave Italy for another trip because it is always better to spend enough time in any given place so that you can really get to know that area well as opposed to just being able to say that you have been there.

You should absolutely ask Toutou for a copy of her Tip Sheet. Also, let me know if you would like a copy of my "Traveller's Aid" for Provence - just need your e-mail.

AlpillesGal

4. Re: Touring Provence/cote d'azur in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 22:17