We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Looking at via michelin maps it appears as if Eze le Village and La Turbie are approx. 4.5 km's apart. Is it possible and enjoyable to walk between the two villages on a nice day? If so, how strenuous and is there a suggested route. Thanks...

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

I've never tried this, but I wouldn't think it would be pleasant.

First, Eze is on what's called the Moyenne Corniche road, and La Turbie is on the Grande Corniche. Both roads are busy with traffic, so I'd consider walking along the road to be very unpleasant - noisy and polluted.

If you get hold of the 1:25000 map that shows the footpaths, there isn't a direct path between the two either.

There are however walks from the coast up to both places, quite strenuous, but enjoyable if you're reasonably fit and don't go out in the middle of the day with no water. You can take the Nietsche path from Eze sur Mer to Eze Village, and you can walk all the way from Monaco up to La Turbie. I've done the Eze walk a couple of times in both directions. I've also done the La Turbie walk that goes part of the way on the Grand Randonnee 51 (from the Jardin Exotique in Monaco) and also part way on another route through Beausoleil following the old mountain railway track.

If you enjoy walking (hiking), then it's best to get the map and check out the routes available.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Thanks. It was just a thought but as you note walking along busy roads is neither relaxing or all that safe.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

I'm pretty sure the la Turbie to Eze walk is walk 6 in the walk and Eat in Nice book . I haven't walked it myself though.

http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/

I can't lay my hands on it right now to check - it seems to have disappeared somewhere in the house

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Done this walk many times with variations - its probably my favourite! Bravo for the question. As per the Walk and Eat Nice best commence from La Turbie - as you can get there easily from Nice by the 116 bus 10:30 bound for Peillon. Hop off at La Turbie and from there its a short distance to the waymarked Randonee - the yellow rectagle - with occasional signposting, up remote hills and wild pathways.

We are talking around two hours, some of it involves scrambling up loose stony track - its not a "road-track" until you hit Cime La Forna, but from there follow the "smilitary trategic route" via La Simboula down to Col d'Eze, where you can pick up a bus back to Nice

La Revere is the summit of the walk and has the most spectacular views high above Eze - best you will find on the Riviera.

You'll need good shoes, water, and a Carte IGN map will be helpful. I've only ever encountered one walker and two cyclists on a half dozen walks, so you'll not be able to ask anyone the way!

You can do it reverse - from Eze to La Turbie - but by definition youre going further and futher away from base Nice.

If you have the legs for it you can walk carry on walking from Eze to Nice via the Corne d'Or - finest views over Cap Ferat and Beaulieu and villefranche.

Bear in mind these are some challenging distance for "normal" folk.

Cheers

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

I hate to disagree with MC but I often cycle between Eze and La Turbie and have seen very few cars. The walk on the road rises steeply from Eze to Col D'Eze, under a mile, and then very gradually for perhaps two miles before dropping equally gradually to La Turbie. There is no footpath but I wouldn't regard it as in any way dangerous.

Having said that, without the challenge of cycling up and the speed of cycling down (one of the few places I have touched 60mph) I don't think it would be a particularly stimulating journey, just a plod along a well surfaced road without much change in the view along the way.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Thanks Nicelife...you've sure given us something to think about. The view from the summit at La Revere sounds like a must see for us...it's our kind of thing. Is it possible to pick up the "Carte IGN map" in Nice or Villefranche (we're going to be based there)? Also wondering about "Walk and Eat Nice". We leave in three weeks and neither seem available in Canada. If so where? Thanks...

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Thanks for letting me know. I'd never have thought to do this walk because of the roads. But now I will.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

you can get a pdf copy instantly from the sunflower books website if that helps

Actually thinking about it-it would be quite handy to print out the relevant walks bigger than the very compact book pages.

http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/wnice.htm

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

Thanks. I ordered the book online.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk from Eze le Village to La Turbie?

I too walked DOWN FROM La Turbie TO Eze. I had not planned to but I did a morning visit to la Turbie and thought "Can I walk to Eze-Village?". Asked some locals and yes, they said something like 2hr. I had no information, nor a walk map. I just stayed on the main road and don't remember the walk particularly uncomfortable. I think it was mid October 2006, very sunny and hot. View over the sea underneath was often very good. Am glad I did it. And visiting (uncrowded) Eze-village, its garden in late afternoon + a glass of rosé champagne on the terrace of Chèvre d'Or at sunset was a treat (I didn't pay ;-)