We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should we stay in the south?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
How many days should we stay in the south?

Hello,

We are traveling to France in August, arriving in Nice on 8/24. We are not sure how long we should stay there... and we need some advice.

Are there any good places to stay out of the cities? We are thinking of something between Nice and Cannes. We plan to rent a car and drive to see Monte Carlo, San Remo, Cannes, St. Tropez, Nice, and lots of costal driving...

We have a choice to stay for 6.5 or 3.5 days. I have heard Nice can be seen in one day but we would like to go to other locals as well (mentioned above). Our next stop is Paris... leaving 9/3... so we would be in Paris for the balance, which we have been to several times before. Are there any recommended day trips from Paris? We already have a location to stay.

Any advice is helpful - Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

I wouldn't say Nice could be done in one day - there is a lot more to Nice than the other places on your list. i would say 6.5 days would be good when you want to see a variety of places in the area

Monte Carlo, San Remo, Cannes could all be done in one day or half a day combined with somewhere else

st tropez is probably best done by boat due to the heavy traffic [st tropez doesn't have a railway station so its a train to st raphael then a boat or bus]

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

Thanks! Do you know of any boat name or a website of where we can get docks, schedules and prices?

Thanks again!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

Trans cote d'azur do the trip to st tropez from Nice or from cannes

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com

crossings by boat from st raphael [april to nov]

tmr-saintraphael.com/…20trop.html

Mentioned in this post
Trans Cote D'Azur
Trans Cote D'Azur
57 Reviews
Cannes, France
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

wonderful - Thank you!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

If yu have done paris before, then I would go for the 6.5 days in Nice. There is loads to do in the area. If you want adayy offsighseeing then you will be able to sunbathe easly down there.

Did you go to Versailles from Paris before thats definately a day trip worth doing.

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

In all honesty, since have previously explored Paris, then spend your entire trip in the South.

Personally, I would opt for Western Provence as opposed to the Cote d'Azur which seems to be the area of your focus - however, that is a totally personal decision, ie. one that you will have to make based upon your interests.

There are a great number of wonderful small towns/villages in Western Provence which you could use as bases for your explorations of this wonderful region - they include St. Remy, places in the Alpilles such as Maussane and les Baux, and a host of villages to the North like Gordes etc. Some folks like to be in larger towns/smaller cities like Arles or Avignon. As far as I am coincerned, I really don't want to travel 3000+ miles to be in a city, even if it is a small one, so I will opt for a town every time, largely because they are much more representative of the true Provencal ambiance. But since it is your vacation - chacun a son gout (which basically translates as to easn his/her own)

AlpillesGal

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Le Provencal
Le Provencal
829 Reviews
Frejus, France
7. Re: How many days should we stay in the south?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 21:17