We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

We are in Nice for 4 nights in May. I have heard that a lot of tourist attractions and stores are closed on a Sunday. Is it worth going to the Promenade des Anglais or will there be no atmosphere? Is this the same for Cannes, Antibes, Monaco and Eze?

Given our limited time, I am wondering how to best utilise our time on a Sunday. Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

russia
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Sunday is right time to go to the market and to the old town.

Promenad is always great.

Museums are open on sunday.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

A long lunch people watching!

I would also think about a rail trip either to Monacco or to Frejus which gives some lovely views of the Med.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Sunday is the day for morning markets across the region- Nice, Cannes and Antibes all have them . It's also the day (weather permitting) when locals go to the beach or for a promenade.

The Prom will have plenty of atmosphere as will the Croisette in Cannes.

Many tourist attractions are open on Sunday- which ones are you wanting to visit ?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

There are no shops on the Promenade and Sunday is its busiest day. There are many places in the world better than the Riviera for shopping but IMO none better for a beautiful landscape, architecture, food and a relaxed ambience. Reminds me of an old joke, pre millionaire footballers, about a Manchester City player who said that the United players weren't very imaginative when it came to recreation, as all they did was go shopping in Manchester but 'we are more intelligent and imaginative than them, so we go shopping in Liverpool as well'..

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Sunday shopping is not a big thing here.

Recently legal premission was granted for sunday opening and about half a dozen shops opened and that fizzled out after a couple of weeks.

Most of the shops wanted the option of adding an extra sunday at will rather than be open every sunday.

Some shops in the old town will be open and many food shops etc will be open in the sunday morning, as will the fruit veg flower and fish markets.

Museums are all open. parks and gardens are open

.In may there are special celebration in Nice every sunday [as well as may day itself] for the traditional may festivities at the olive groves and Roman amphiotheatre at Cimiez. Traditional music, dancing, concerts, activities for kids, food etc

on a 4 day trip i would not go to monaco on a sunday, but combine it with Eze village using the buses -which is possible any day but sunday or public hiolidays

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

If you are an Irish tourist in the summer you can stroll along the promenade on a sunny Sunday morning, have lunch in a nice restaurant and spend a couple of hours in Ma Nolan's watching the Gaelic football and hurling championship matches.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. During our 4 days I am thinking of going to Eze, Monaco, day trip to St Tropez, Villa Euphrussi, possibly Vence/St Paul de Vence, Villefranche, St Jean Cap Ferrat. I'm not sure if this is too ambitious and can possibly groups some of these together.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

We spent a fun afternoon in St. Paul one year, but it was crowded and that would have to be okay for you and your companions. There was a local tuba band marching through the streets and the afternoon was quite festive. (I think it was tubas...maybe, accordians, or accordians and tubas? whatever they were, it was fun!) You could combine this trip with a stop in Vence, and if you have a car, you might want to travel from Vence to Tourettes sur Loup. I'm not sure what will be open in Tourettes on a Sunday, but it's a charming village that should be a slower pace than what you will find in St. Paul. Perhaps someone will be able to tell you if the Matisse Chapel in Vence is open on Sundays. If you visit the chapel, you want to be there when one of the sisters is offering a tour. You don't want to miss the commentary from these special guides!

Another combination of stops you could make on a Sunday or any other day would be Eze and Villefranche from Nice. Villefranche is between St. Paul and Nice.

From Cannes, I would suggest this hidden gem that we discovered on our last trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187221-i454-k4034…

Perhaps Soooz can tell you if the restaurants in Le Cannet are likely to be open on Sunday. Forgive me Soooz, there was flea market in the park that we enjoyed last year. Was it on a Saturday or Sunday? I'm thinking, Saturday, but when you've been flying overnight, it's easy to get confused!

dubaimaldivesdubai: I hope you have a wonderful trip, and happy birthday to your Mom. This will be a special way for you to celebrate!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Thank you for your kind wishes. The Sunday we are there is the 8 may and ive just realised this is a public holiday. Will that affect the suggestions mentioned?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is best to do on a Sunday in the French Riviera

Go to St Raphael/Frejus/Port Frejus , have a nice lunch then a snooze on the beach in the sunshine .......luvverly