We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

french riviera

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
french riviera

My husband and I are finished a cruise to the Baltic on Sept. 19 and then we would like to go to the French Riviera for a week to relax and suntan etc. Will it be too cold by then to sit by the pool or relax on the beach? If not - any suggestions where to stay. Somewhat upscale accomodations. Do we need to rent a car - we would fly to Nice.

Any advice would be appreciated

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: french riviera

September is ideal for sunbathing and the sea is still warm. Upscale is a relative thing ... you can go for the very top - Hotel du Cap on Cap d'Antibes or the Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat ( recently elevated to a 'Palace') - or you can go for the de luxe hotels along Cannes'Croisette seafront- Martinez, Majestic, Carlton etc . I would avoid Monaco -it is not typical of the Cote d'Azur and your ability to stroll around markets and quaysides and make choices at local restaurants - the things that make the south of France special -is very limited. Personally though I would consider Villefranche- the most beautiful village on the coast - the Welcome Hotel here seems to have got a lot of fans and may meet your requirements without being over pretentious.

Ed

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: french riviera

Hae a look at the Hôtel la Pérouse in Nice. The deluxe rooms with balcony or terrace have beautiful ocean views, and the hotel has a distinct Provençal feel to it--nothing like the tans and greys of newer hotels.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: french riviera

thanks for your advice - do you recommend we rent a car to take side trips or just go by train?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: french riviera

If you are based in Nice use public transport. Driving through the city is a nightmare at times and parking still worse and very expensive. The bus service is excellent locally with each trip costing €1 and the trains are also pretty good.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: french riviera

If your priority is beach, swimming and relaxation, I would suggest choosing a base which has a sandy beach and use public transport which as mentioned above is excellent value and efficient for day trips. Nice would be a day trip, but not a base.

Depending on budget, Beaulieu sur Mer, Cap d'Antibes and Cap Ferrat (not so accessible by public transport tho), Juan Les Pins (Cap d'Antibes end) and Cannes have upscale hotels and sandy beaches.

Theoule sur Mer might be a possiblity too though again not so accessible using public transport.

Suggest you look at some of the hotel comparison websites for availability in these towns within your chosen budget

Examples of such websites include hotelscomparison.com and trivago, plus many more

Hope this helps

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: french riviera

Edit

Just realised

Your proposed stay coincides with the Tax Free convention in Cannes this year, you may find prices in Cannes are higher and the town is busier than usual. The third week in September is usually a great time to visit, but maybe not this year :)

Edited: 21 May 2011, 12:35
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: french riviera

Thank you all for the advice, I shall continue planning with your advice in mind. Other than the south of France do you have any other sun and relax destinations you really like? I'm having a hard time convincing my husband that it will be warm enough to sunbathe . He doesn't think it is far enough south.

Carol

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: french riviera

There is much confusion about heat on the Riviera. Last week the air temperature never rose above 22C or so, around 72F, but beaches were packed and people were seeking the shade as the sun was extremely hot. September is one of the best times as the sea is close to its max temp and the humidity of July and August will have gone. Nice is six degrees south of Vancouver which makes a very substantial difference to the heat of the sun.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: french riviera

We are further inland from the sea but often we can sunbathe by our pool into late October.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: french riviera

Low pollution levels here- the sun's burning strength/UV index is high so ambient temperatures can be misleading and why Coco Chanel acquired that famous suntan :)